$80 to put a chicken down?

I recently had to put my chicken down. She was suffering had only a few hours left In her. She couldn't stand and was breathing shallow for a few hours. She just wouldn't die on her own. I just got my bill today. I though 80 dollars to put a half dead chicken down was a little steep. What do you think?
I took my old girl to our vet and I think he was embarrassed by his shocked reaction. This is a farming community and chickens and vets don’t tend to meet. My old girl was dying and could no longer walk so I took her in. He charged me 40€ which is a little less than your charge. He was very kind though and put her in my arms after the injection. I cried after and he held my hand. It was worth the cost but I was there for nearly 20 mins before I left. If you think of it that way then it’s not too bad. Compare the time and cost to the equivalent time and cost of a plumber and over here it’s a snip.

As someone who has worked in a Vet office for over a decade. Your $40-100 euthanasia charge isn't for the 3 CC's of Beuthasol. You are paying (like it or not) for the Vets time, the exam and emotional exhaustion. When your pet is put to sleep, and you are sobbing (which is typically the case with most pets) - it takes a toll on everyone in the room. You, the animal, the Tech and the Vet. It's hard and it pretty much ruins EVERYONES day. While any charge over $50 seems high to me, it is a task that no one wants to be put through, so I get why a lot of Vets charge more - simply because they would rather have you take it somewhere else. I'm not defending - simply explaining.

That last part is super sad if true.

With 2 aging felines and an elderly K-9 I would hope for my vet to be caring and kind...... Especially at such a hard time.

It cost $40 to get my cat put to sleep last year. No vet around here sees chickens so I do all the vetting and end of life stuff myself. Sorry about your loss. $80 seems a lot to me.

I have always taken care of my own vet care with my chickens. I don't own firearms, or have a sharp ax/knife to kill her humanely at home. At the time this was the best option. I think I am going to talk to the manager and fight the charge. $80 for 3cc of anesthetic to put down my chicken seems a little insane.
You might want to research the broomstick method of euthanasia. Cheaper than a vet and doesn’t require a firearm or sharp instrument.

It cost >250 to euthanize an 8 pound dog at the Humane Society. I was told almost double at his regular vet.
I kill my own birds though.
I don’t think I could, actually I know I couldn’t. Not when there is an option anyway. My neighbour is a retired chicken farmer but I wanted to be certain that she went with as little stress as possible. I know in my heart that she died peacefully, I don’t know if she would have if Daniel had done it for me. It would have broken my heart to have seen her in distress at the end. We were together for a long time.
My problem is that I get way too attached to my girls and at the moment I can afford the vets bills so take the easy option. Also we don’t have a Humane Society here in France. I guess the closest is SPA but they don’t do chickens.

I recently had to put my chicken down. She was suffering had only a few hours left In her. She couldn't stand and was breathing shallow for a few hours. She just wouldn't die on her own. I just got my bill today. I though 80 dollars to put a half dead chicken down was a little steep. What do you think?
I don't think it's steep at all but I just paid hundreds of dollars to have my pet dog put to sleep.

I don't think it's steep at all but I just paid hundreds of dollars to have my pet dog put to sleep.
Oh Texas Kiki ! I am SO sorry. It is sad to think of vets profiting from the deaths of our animals. Paying for time and equipment I understand but this is taking advantage of other people’s misfortunes.
So sad for your loss, my heart goes out to you. As we say in France (translated) I feel your pain.

I took one of my girls to the vet after being attacked by a dog. He said it was best to put her down. Which is what we did and i think it cost $70-76 AUD... lucky I got the owner of the dog to pay for it!
People should be able to control their dogs and should be more responsible. Glad the owner paid but sorry you had to go through it.

Back
Top Bottom