$80 to put a chicken down?

Pics
I would suggest that in the future , you learn how to ask how much any procedure is going to cost .. Not that it might change your mind, but at least there will be no after shock..

one thing I don't understand is how someone can kill chickens to eating, but cannot kill a sick or dying chicken..

what many people do not consider when getting any pet is that more than likely they will outlive the pet.

About a month ago, two of my hens got sick with what the vet and I were pretty sure was Marek's. She euthanized both of them--one on Monday ($100+) and one on Friday (about $80). Now, a month later, I have two more hens showing symptoms of Marek's, and I've already realized that I can't afford to take every dying chicken to the vet. Wish I could, but I'm practical enough to realize I need to pull on my farm girl pants and learn to do the hard stuff. I've been researching, and am just about convinced that the broomstick method will be the best for me--easiest for me to handle, that is. But only when necessary, which is when my girls start to waste away. I hate this disease. Did I tell you how much I hate this disease? But thank you for this discussion. It has proved to be very timely for me.

About a month ago, two of my hens got sick with what the vet and I were pretty sure was Marek's. She euthanized both of them--one on Monday ($100+) and one on Friday (about $80). Now, a month later, I have two more hens showing symptoms of Marek's, and I've already realized that I can't afford to take every dying chicken to the vet. Wish I could, but I'm practical enough to realize I need to pull on my farm girl pants and learn to do the hard stuff. I've been researching, and am just about convinced that the broomstick method will be the best for me--easiest for me to handle, that is. But only when necessary, which is when my girls start to waste away. I hate this disease. Did I tell you how much I hate this disease? But thank you for this discussion. It has proved to be very timely for me.
Can you take them to your state lab so you can get a diagnosis?

That's a very high price for the job and a cost that was unnecessary.
A necropsy at your state poultry lab will include humane euthanasia at no additional cost - and you'll find out why your bird was sick.

Most vets are pet vets and charge accordingly.
It isn't hard to kill a chicken. The broomstick method works well. You can slit the jugular, grab by the head and snap the neck or chop off the head - like people have done for thousands of years. No charge.
When keeping livestock, one assumes the less desirable responsibilities.

Back
Top Bottom