8Feathers only predator id

luckydawn

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 25, 2015
Hudson Valley NY
I lost 5 chickens around 6 am. 1 full grown welsommer roo, 3 buff orpingtons, and 1 americuna. Found only small bunches of feathers but they were in separate areas of the yard. 1 clump about 175 feet from their covered run in an area they never free range to, a flurry of orpington feathers on the other side of the house,300 feet from the coop but an area they range in. And no sign of roo feathers at all. I know there is a red tail in the area but im confused to lose so many birds all at once in different parts of the property. Also, there were signs something went under the coop to access the run and the terrified chickens broke out through small open corners that hsdnt yet been wired. We resecured the run and no further losses but i cant imagine what this was. 5 birds all scattered around a 3 acre lawn..any ideas?

Sounds like more than one predator. I lean canid. Possibly coyotes or maybe even dogs. They will be back - be prepared.

How do you know the time? Do you have a game camera you can put up. I have several. When I first put them up I was surprised at the predators that roam here at night. Once you figure out what the predator is then you can make a plan to eliminate it/them. Good luck...

So sorry for your losses!
Not raptors, but canines of some sort. Foxes or dogs would be my first choices here.
Reinforce everything! Having a game camera is good, and electric fencing too.
Mary

I lost 5 or 6 at a time twice. A few days after one of the attacks I saw a pair of foxes. I assumed they may have attacked as a team or just scattered the birds and picked them off one by one.

Here too. Ten nice hens while free ranging one afternoon, to a sick mangy fox. Then over twenty birds in an hour, when one of our own dogs got to them!
In both cases though, most bodies were scattered around, not all carried off. The fox returned, and our dog's fencing issues were fixed.
Hawks generally kill one at a time. We've never had a coyote attack, so don't know about them.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom