8mo old stopped laying but visits nest box

Found this on a poop board just now. There was a small bit of yolk and lots of albumin. I think it was whole but shell-less. It tore when I took it off the board.
There was a smaller bit of the creamy white matter which is soft and is
IMG_2177.jpeg
IMG_2178.jpeg
IMG_2179.jpeg
IMG_2180.jpeg
the same color all the way through. Should I just start with calcium/D pills?

Found this on a poop board just now. There was a small bit of yolk and lots of albumin. I think it was whole but shell-less. It tore when I took it off the board.
There was a smaller bit of the creamy white matter which is soft and is View attachment 3791701View attachment 3791702View attachment 3791703View attachment 3791704the same color all the way through. Should I just start with calcium/D pills?
Ok, so at least it does not appear to be lash material. And yes I'd start with calcium, if nothing else just to hopefully get a hard enough shell so she can pass these through her system more easily.

Ok, so at least it does not appear to be lash material. And yes I'd start with calcium, if nothing else just to hopefully get a hard enough shell so she can pass these through her system more easily.
I had already picked up calcium citrate with D so I’ll start that tomorrow and run a 5 day course

I had already picked up calcium citrate with D so I’ll start that tomorrow and run a 5 day course
We got an egg this afternoon. 🥰
Day before yesterday she dropped a porcelain thin egg from the roost bar and it shattered on impact with the edge of the poop board. Today we got this! IMG_2193.jpeg
IMG_2192.jpeg
IMG_2193.jpeg

Just now, she laid a soft shelled egg on the run floor, and 5 minutes later she laid an albumin and yolk with no shell at all 🤦🏼‍♀️

She sounds extremely glitchy, which isn't unusual in younger layers but her system sounds more erratic than most. Not sure if it's indicative of any other issues or if she just has a problem with forming shells. Have you started supplementing calcium via pill/tablet?

She sounds extremely glitchy, which isn't unusual in younger layers but her system sounds more erratic than most. Not sure if it's indicative of any other issues or if she just has a problem with forming shells. Have you started supplementing calcium via pill/tablet?
Yes, today was day 5 for Caltrate with D. I don't think I should give it more than 5 days at a time?

Yes, today was day 5 for Caltrate with D. I don't think I should give it more than 5 days at a time?
You can for sure, I'd try it for 10-14 days to start. If it helps then I would continue with maybe every other day from there, and if things remain stable, then once every 3 days, and so on.

If you still don't see any improvement after the first 2 weeks, then the problem might be with her shelling gland.

You can for sure, I'd try it for 10-14 days to start. If it helps then I would continue with maybe every other day from there, and if things remain stable, then once every 3 days, and so on.

If you still don't see any improvement after the first 2 weeks, then the problem might be with her shelling gland.
Thanks for letting me know I can extend it. I will keep it up for another week or so, then go with backing off.
If it keeps up, I’d there a shot or something they can give her to stop producing? I don’t know what this is doing to her physically.

If it keeps up, I’d there a shot or something they can give her to stop producing? I don’t know what this is doing to her physically.
Uh... there is an injection that will stop them from laying, but I can't recall what it's called off the top of my head (in order to look it up). It would need to be done or prescribed by a vet.

Back
Top Bottom