8mo old stopped laying but visits nest box

Montymoo

Songster
Sep 17, 2023
One of my 8 month old GLW’s has stopped laying but visits the nest box, spends a couple of hours rearranging and singing to herself, and then comes out happy as a clam. But no egg.
She was the last to start laying in late January/early February.

Should I be worried about egg binding? She’s acting normal other than pretend laying. 🤪

If she was eggbound she wouldn't be happy as a clam. She might have enough hormones to "put her in the mood" to be thinking about laying, but not yet enough to push her over into laying again - and that can be because of time of year and lighting, stress, etc.

Not unusual for young layers (or older layers coming in or out of lay) to be a bit sporadic, glitchy, take breaks, etc.

If she was eggbound she wouldn't be happy as a clam. She might have enough hormones to "put her in the mood" to be thinking about laying, but not yet enough to push her over into laying again - and that can be because of time of year and lighting, stress, etc.

Not unusual for young layers (or older layers coming in or out of lay) to be a bit sporadic, glitchy, take breaks, etc.
Thank you!

Today she layed on the run floor- a double yolker with no shell. I guess she’s glitchy. ☺️

Today I just found a lining but no yolk. I have included a picture of what was there. Much more lining than yesterday ands I don’t know if there was a yolk that the others ate but I doubt it because they didn’t touch the double yolks yesterday. What is the creamy blob? And sorry for the dirt
IMG_2173.jpeg

Do you still have this? If possible, cut the white blob in half and take a photo of the cross-section. It may be lash material but hard to tell without seeing inside.

No, I threw it out but before I did I cut it and smooshed one side- it was creamy- the same texture and color all the way through.
If she does it again tomorrow I’ll be better prepared to pick it up cleanly and get good shots. Thank you, and I’m hoping it’s not lash material.

And not sure if this matters, but last week, she laid the little almost white egg. It’s shown next to an egg from her hatch mate. They both laid identical eggs until she went tiny and forgot to color it. I cracked it into a bowl and it looks good but I threw it all out just in case.
IMG_2175.jpeg
IMG_2176.jpeg

And not sure if this matters, but last week, she laid the little almost white egg. It’s shown next to an egg from her hatch mate. They both laid identical eggs until she went tiny and forgot to color it. I cracked it into a bowl and it looks good but I threw it all out just in case.
The white egg and contents look fine (just missing pigment on the shell). But yes, hoping it wasn't lash material with that earlier blob - since you said it felt "creamy" as opposed to rubbery, that's a bit more promising.

Back
Top Bottom