8th-annual-byc-new-years-day-2017-hatch-a-long

Its not on its back now. It can right itself with some effort. Not markedly weak that I've noticed. Do I just have a weird chick?
I suppose as long as he's eating and drinking normally then it is a weird chick, but if not then something is wrong.

Do have any poultry vitamins to mix in the water like Sav-A-Chick or NutriDrench? Those usually have electrolytes in addition to vitamins.

No. I have been trying to use up the last of a bottle of "all cage bird" vitamins put out by Dr. Lafeber. My 47 year old Amazon parrot passed away from a stroke near a year ago and I have been trying to finish the vitamins before they expire.

Edit: i havent used these with the chicks, just my adult birds. Should I give some to the chicks?

It unfortunately contains vitamin A so I have to be careful of overdose

Last edited:
I will be following but did not think about this as i am new to the group I set mine to hatch christmas eve Lol santa is bringing chicks this year JK

No. I have been trying to use up the last of a bottle of "all cage bird" vitamins put out by Dr. Lafeber. My 47 year old Amazon parrot passed away from a stroke near a year ago and I have been trying to finish the vitamins before they expire.

Edit: i havent used these with the chicks, just my adult birds. Should I give some to the chicks?

It unfortunately contains vitamin A so I have to be careful of overdose
It's not going to be formulated for poultry, so I would not give it. If you have Pedialyte on hand, use it. If you can mix up some sugar water it can help too. Laying like that means the chick is just too weak to even right itself. If you can't get to a feed store, you can use multivitamin drops for infants, without iron.

It's not going to be formulated for poultry, so I would not give it. If you have Pedialyte on hand, use it. If you can mix up some sugar water it can help too. Laying like that means the chick is just too weak to even right itself. If you can't get to a feed store, you can use multivitamin drops for infants, without iron.
But he *can* right himself. And does. Without my intervention. And doesn't act super weak. Is there a chance he might have an inner ear issue or something? He really doesn't act like an unwell bird to me.

Right now I can't even tell what one it is since they're all running around in the brooder like little kids playing "airplane", wings wide out and adorable.

Just took photo. This time its kind of on its side, other times its on its back back tho

Edit:

It's good that he CAN right himself but what I would do is put him in a little coffee mug with paper towels in the bottom so it's not slippery. This will help him gain strength in his legs while supporting him all around. I had a little poult last year that would routinely fall over but he had a very hard time getting back up on his own. You can read his story here if you'd like http://www.onemountainacres.weebly.com/adventures-with-chickens . It has a sad ending but he had made astounding progress before we lost him.

Back
Top Bottom