8X4 Homemade coops(post please)

I'm not trying to be mean but I think u might need a bigger coop that is a lot of birds in there.
lau.gif

That was the intent of posting a photo of my current grow out coop. People read silly mandatory numbers for space birds absolutely need. It all has to do with your management as a whole not arbitrary numbers repeated on these forums far to often. My management is such that birds only use coops to roost at night. Individual bird temperament and if they were brood mates has a lot to do with how much they will willingly cram into a small safe place to sleep. What is the run size for those birds? Over 6,000 sqft with a few lilacs, other shrub tree and large willow. So when viewing a photo as what was posted many would cringe and expound "abuse" which is quite the opposite of reality. What is not seen in that photo is three more cockerels and the breeding cock from that spring that also roost there. Virtually unlimited space in run, prime shrubs to make bathing basins under and not a single wound or feather plucked. How many more could fit in there? I honestly don't know, not many for sure but they constantly amaze me. Since that photo and the cockerels are still growing out for slaughter the cock bird was dispatched, five oldest pullets and the hen being broken from brooding have moved to layer coop but three more hens started to brood so are moved down to grow out coop. Testament to how well behaved my variety of birds are and the power of brood mates, chicks growing out in view of adults and soon foraging all together. It's management and specific line of birds that makes what I do possible.

Incredibly large runs with excellent forage and shade shrubs with small coops are actually better than large coops and small runs. But again, personal opinions and preference to management does apply.

Ok...... I'm a little confused but ok. I wish I was rich so my birds could be happy. I have 8 birds all in one Coop and I feel really bad for them cause they are all crammed together. But since I'm still not old enough to move out I can't give them what I want them to have cause my parents think they are fine. So that's why I'm saving up my money from eggs,Christmas, and my birthday to buy materials to add on to the coop. But again they are crammed in there until I get $150. Do you have any other ideas to make money or get materials to help make to coop bigger?

Back
Top Bottom