8x8 coop and 16x8 run can I got more chickens?

Chickybabies0423

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2020
Hi everyone, I have an 8x8 chicken coop and a 16x8 run which I am currently extending out so that the chickens have an area with grass since I don’t free range anymore (lost 5 to predators) I have 16 one week old chicks, but was thinking about adding in some silkies with them. Is this possible or should I order a separate coop for the silkies? I’m only getting 6. Thanks in advance.

The Usual Guidelines say that each adult, standard-sized hen needs:

4 square feet in the coop,
10 square feet in the run,
1 linear foot of roost,
1/4 of a nest box,
and 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation -- preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on their roost.

You are right at the square footage for 16 chickens in your coop but you only have enough run for 12 chickens.

Now these are *guidelines*, not hard and fast *rules* but overcrowding causes both behavioral and sanitation issues.

(lost 5 to predators) I have 16 one week old chicks,
Lost 5, of how many?
Wondering if you have existing older birds in addition to the 16 one week old chicks.

but was thinking about adding in some silkies with them. Is this possible or should I order a separate coop for the silkies? I’m only getting 6.
So you've already ordered them?
Are they young chicks too?

You could always sell some of the chicks once they are off heat.
Might have to get rid of any males anyway.

Your space is tight for 16, especially if your run is not weather and predator proof.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1624541244189.png

Ok. I thought I could fit 16 because of the 3 square foot per chicken. I have 64 square feet and for 16 I would need 48. And my run is double that.
The most common and popular 'rule of thumb' is 4/10 for coop/run.
But many have found that is a bare minimum.
Crowding is ugly, and can be fatal, more space is always better.

The Silkies may also need their own run since they are sometimes bullied by full-size birds.

Not always, but sometimes.
I am going to get a whole separate coop and build a run off of it for them since my coop now is full. I did hear you could have them together is they were raised from chicks but I definitely don’t want to crowd anyone and cause bullying. I’m ok with two separate coops so that’s the plan. I also read silkies don’t roost so they get pooped on. Don’t want that either

Back
Top Bottom