8x8 coop and 16x8 run can I got more chickens?

I believe you misread...its usually 4sqft in coop and 10sqft in run.
Ok I’ll have more than that because I’m extending the run so I’ll have 208 square feet. Right now I’ll need 160 if it’s 10 per chicken looks like the coop is at capacity with the 16. We do have 2 that will be culled at 9 weeks because we didn’t realize they were meat birds. TSC said they were ISA browns

My new doormat is 3.9 square feet.

View attachment 2734264

Yes, I did measure it specifically to use to illustrate how small 4 square feet is.

10 square feet is *exactly* the size of a standard fiberglass bath/shower insert of the sort that goes into a new house's second/guest bathroom.
That's a perfect visual!

If you want more than the 16, you will have to get another space. You're already a bit likely to have squabbling if you keep all 16, even if they're all female
Ok. I thought I could fit 16 because of the 3 square foot per chicken. I have 64 square feet and for 16 I would need 48. And my run is double that.

If you want more than the 16, you will have to get another space. You're already a bit likely to have squabbling if you keep all 16, even if they're all female
When I was reading it also said 4 square feet per chicken in the run so 16 would need 64 square feet and I have 128 square feet and am also extending the run.

The most common and popular 'rule of thumb' is 4/10 for coop/run.
But many have found that is a bare minimum.
Crowding is ugly, and can be fatal, more space is always better.
Ok my chickens spend most of their time outside and 2 of them we discovered are meat birds and TSC told us they were ISA browns so they won’t be with us long. We will be down to 14 then.

4x4 = 16 square feet = 4 chickens for the coop.

4x6 = 24 square feet = 2.4 chickens in the run.

4 chickens need 40 square feet in the run -- twice what you have. Expanding wider is better than a long, skinny run. If you can make it 6x8 or even 8x8 it would be more versatile and useful than 4x10 or 4x12. :)

If you start your own thread with photos of what you have (or what you're planning to build), we can better help you. :)
I already built it. They free range until bedtime, and are still small. I would love a bigger coop/run, but can't afford it now :(

I’ve had hens in the winter and they did not spend time in the coop even during a snowy week. My run has a roof and we cover the sides with plastic sheeting and leave the door uncovered for ventilation. We had no snow in the run all last winter even after a storm. They were out everyday for most of the day. I clean the roosting bars daily and under them and completely changed the bedding every three weeks. Their heated water bowl and food stayed in the run so the coop was always dry and clean.
I also put new straw in the run every three weeks as well so their feet were off the cold ground and gave them activities to keep the occupied

Back
Top Bottom