8x8 coop and 16x8 run can I got more chickens?

The most common and popular 'rule of thumb' is 4/10 for coop/run.
But many have found that is a bare minimum.
Crowding is ugly, and can be fatal, more space is always better.
Ok my chickens spend most of their time outside and 2 of them we discovered are meat birds and TSC told us they were ISA browns so they won’t be with us long. We will be down to 14 then.

I believe you misread...its usually 4sqft in coop and 10sqft in run.
Ok I’ll have more than that because I’m extending the run so I’ll have 208 square feet. Right now I’ll need 160 if it’s 10 per chicken looks like the coop is at capacity with the 16. We do have 2 that will be culled at 9 weeks because we didn’t realize they were meat birds. TSC said they were ISA browns

Ok I’ll have more than that because I’m extending the run so I’ll have 208 square feet. Right now I’ll need 160 if it’s 10 per chicken looks like the coop is at capacity with the 16. We do have 2 that will be culled at 9 weeks because we didn’t realize they were meat birds. TSC said they were ISA browns
That space might look big for them now, but by the time they are a year old it won’t. It will look very tiny and your silkies will probably get bullied.
I havent gotten the silkies yet. My friend had chicks and I was going to get six since 2 birds will be culled and the run will be 208 square feet. If I didn’t have room in my current coop I was going to get another separate o e and build another run for the silkies. So I definitely didn’t have any intentions on squeezing them in if there wasn’t space which is why I was asking. My coop fits the 16 which will be down to 14 soon and I definitely have enough run space for the 14 with the extension

I havent gotten the silkies yet. My friend had chicks and I was going to get six since 2 birds will be culled and the run will be 208 square feet. If I didn’t have room in my current coop I was going to get another separate o e and build another run for the silkies. So I definitely didn’t have any intentions on squeezing them in if there wasn’t space which is why I was asking. My coop fits the 16 which will be down to 14 soon and I definitely have enough run space for the 14 with the extension

The Silkies may also need their own run since they are sometimes bullied by full-size birds.

Not always, but sometimes.

The Silkies may also need their own run since they are sometimes bullied by full-size birds.

Not always, but sometimes.
I am going to get a whole separate coop and build a run off of it for them since my coop now is full. I did hear you could have them together is they were raised from chicks but I definitely don’t want to crowd anyone and cause bullying. I’m ok with two separate coops so that’s the plan. I also read silkies don’t roost so they get pooped on. Don’t want that either

The most common and popular 'rule of thumb' is 4/10 for coop/run.
But many have found that is a bare minimum.
Crowding is ugly, and can be fatal, more space is always better.
Agree!!
16 hens in an 8x8 on a cold snowy week is not going to be pleasant. (When they don't go out). I would always plan for the worst for their comfort.

Back
Top Bottom