8x8 done for now. Please tell me what im missing

iasc300

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 3, 2011
Linden, IA
Well I have ben working on the Coop and run for a month or so on my days off and when the weather is good.

The Coop is a 8x8 shed from Menards. I had the shingles left over from the garage so I just bough the basic shed for $600 and applied the shingles myself.
I cut and installed 4 windows. Two on the south side, one on the east side and one on the north side for cross ventilation. I cut out and made the chicken door on the east side and have 4 nest boxes on the inside and will probably add 4 more.

The run is 40'Lx20'W. Made from 8' long treated 4x4s buried 2 feet and set with concrete. 2x8's on the bottom connecting all the 4x4s and 2x4s connecting all the 4x4s on the top. The door was made from left over 2x4s and covered with chicken wire.
Around the outside and inside of the run I ran 2' chicken wire 1 1/2 feet out and covered with concrete all the way around and will cover that with dirt and grass seed after the cement sets.

I have a bunch of left over 5' welded wire from redoing the pasture fences and am thinking of running that around the outside of the run as well but im not sure yet. It looks pretty secure to me but we all know how sly those predators can be so im not sure yet. Im also thinking about putting poultry netting around the top but im not sure yet their either. But there are a ton of hawks out here so I may do that. The chicks are only 2 weeks old right now so I have some time to figure out what I need to add or what needs to be changed in the mean time.

Im asking for your ideas and input on what I need to change or add or anything to make it easier and secure in the long run.

Here are some pitures. Thanks for your time. Ryan

IMG_6849.jpg

IMG_6850.jpg

IMG_6851.jpg

Last edited:
Looks really nice. I know what you're missing........chickens! It looks empty, lol. Seriously, though, if you have the welded wire you should definitely use it. Mine is made of welded wire and it holds up amazingly. I have smaller runs and dividers made of chicken wire, and they need fixed/replaced every couple years.

Chicken wire will not keep preditors out, only chickens in. How many chicks willl you have? my 9 girls use 3 nest boxes. you may not need 8 boxes. Do you have poop boards?? I would to love to see the inside of the coop. (I am a visual person)
If you have hawks then a roof of some sort is needed also shade/rain shelter in the run.
pop.gif

Oh and a quick question when I was breaking up the dirt to lant grass seed, I disturbed a huge nest of fire ants the the shed. The bland, dead looking area on the right side of the shed. Will those fire ants be a problems when I put the chickens in? and if they are whats the safest way to get rid of them without potentially harming the chickens? Thanks

Quote:
I have 25 BO pullets as of now and I will go out and take a few pictures of the inside for you right now

I live in the Fire Ant Capital of the United States, Mississippi. The only way to kill them is to use the Ortho brand, ORTHENE Fire Ant Killer. You can buy this at your local feed store, TSS, Wal-Mart, Lowes, whatever. I have had several people tell me about more organic ways to kill them, most live up north (he he), believe me, I have tried gas, diesel fuel, grits, moving a shovel of one mound to the other, etc., nothing but the Ortho works. To answer your question, yep, get rid of um fast.

You're hired! It looks amazing! Wonderful job.
And I absolutely love buff Orps. Wish I had 25.......
They like to go broody, so I think 8 nest boxes is a good number. Better too many than not enough.
big_smile.png

Dingleberry was correct. Chicken wire will do nothing except keep your chicks in. If you have welded wire, put that on over the chicken wire on your run walls/fence. That should keep larger predators at bay. The smaller holes of the chicken wire will hopefully keep the coons from sticking their sassy arms in too far. And they will strangle your chickens through the fence, if given the chance.
The chicken wire will work for the roof, but it does tend to weaken rather quickly when exposed to the elements. Too flimsy. That is one reason why it is not good for walls or floors of chicken runs. Some critters can even bite through it.
I cannot advise you on the fire ants. I have no experience with them coming into contact with my chickens. I do know that they are darn good at killing my trees. I also know that my girls will eat darn near anything that moves, though.
lol.png

Thanks for the advice on the Ortho. Is the Ortho fire ant killer safe to use around chickens? Like if i spray the ants on the ground and the chickens eat the dead ants they will be alright?

Heres some pictures of the inside.

This is the Roost wall.
IMG_6856.jpg

This is the side with the chicken door and the feeder. You can kinda see the corner of the feeder on the lower right.
IMG_6854.jpg

This is the left side and shows the chicken nests.
IMG_6855.jpg

Thanks everyone for the advice and comments, Im a total nube when it comes to this and chickens so I just want to make sure im doing it right. I will probably put the welded wire up on the outside of the run now after reading your comments. Better safe than sorry.
Whats the easiest way to put poultry netting up? Cementing some posts in the middle as a support and just run it over the top?

love your nestboxes.
love.gif
clap.gif
They will never be clean again though.
wee.gif
sickbyc.gif
I would add more rungs to their walk up ladder. it may be too much of a reach for them to get up using that at first. remember they will pick the highest perch to sleep. what are you going to cover the floor with?? my recomendation is a laminate sheet. If you want easy cleaning paint the inside.
I love BO I have 4 of them. I want more but that would require me to move to a farm.
love.gif

I can not spell or spell check at all

BTW did you make their feed box or buy it. I want one!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom