9/11 and I feel awkward about this...

I have WHAT in my yard? :

9/11 was a rough day for me and it is seared in my memory. I did not lose anyone that day (spent hours worried sick but they were both safe.)

But I have lost friends in Iraq and Afghanistan.

So MIL and her church are having their church picnic at MIL's house that day. Somehow, I am uncomfortable with this.

I promised her I would attend and help with this. Hosting a picnic this big is a huge burden she takes on voluntarily every year.
idunno.gif
But, I don't know how they overlooked the anniversary. I am sure there will be some prayer or something in honor of, etc but.....

Am I being over sensitive?

I would say...yes. 9/11 just happens to fall on a Sunday this year, so it's natural that many people will be attending church and church type functions on this date this year. The world doesn't come halt on the anniversary of tragedy and I rather like the fact that this is so, particularly about Americans. We are survivors. I'm sure that prayers will be offered about the event and that is a type of memorializing as well.

We were all affected by the event in some way or other, small or big, and I don't think I know one family that doesn't have a relative fighting overseas right now....but thinking a church picnic is just insensitive to these facts is a little nitpicky. I notice that many people go to work, shopping, to movies, have weddings, birthdays, etc. on this date and not a word is said about their insensitivity to the date of this event. Let a church plan a picnic and they are suddenly just not sensitive or not giving the date the proper respect?

Life goes on and that is somehow the lesson we need to learn from the whole thing anyway....they didn't destroy us and we still have the freedom to have something as sweetly hometown pure as a church picnic. The freedom to practice our religion is one of the things many have died for and is a fitting memorial to those who have been lost in that effort.​

Instead of having a dark day, do what they told us 10 years ago to do. Live your life as normal, don't let this keep you from living your day to day life.

Quote:
Whatever you do, do me a kindness and don't go shopping. Try doing some one a kindness today. Do something to improve the world....

I'll look at helping MIL as a kindness for the day. But, sorry I don't think I will be able to spend the day making random small talk....

I try to live my life as if each day is a gift, so I don't limit acts of kindness to special days....every day I strive to go out of my way to be extra kind, do something nice or selfless and to improve the world. But I do engage in idle chatter, shopping and every other normal activity on 9/11 and just about any other day in the world.

I try not to view US tragedies as the only ones...we are all connected by humanity on this planet and all big national tragedies in each country are something to be observed, noted, mourned. Every day humans are being exploited, hurt, killed, etc. If we stopped to mourn each tragedy, we would be in a constant state of still.

For every season there is a purpose...a time to die, a time to mourn, etc. Just not every day for every person....9/11 was bad, no one is denying that. If you feel the need to stop in time and mourn that day each year, that is your perogative, but to expect everyone to observe the same attitude is a little unrealistic.

may not want my perspective on this... but

9/11 was a tragic event in our countries history, yes... but I'll be darn if I'll let the counry/people who did this to us, to ruin a good all American day for me!

The folks that continue to die as a result of 9/11 are giving the ultimate sacrifice so that we may continue to live free and happy lives. I'm going to honor them by doing just that!

Say a prayer for those you've lost, rejoice in the life they lived. Give a moment of silence for the tragedy, thank a soldier, and the rest of the Americans fighting the good fight for us, celebrate, give a toast of thanks! Don't let this day in history, stop you from enjoying the present. Otherwise...... what did they die for?

Last edited:
Sadly, life does go on. Doesnt mean we dont remember.... but it also doesnt mean we have to stay home and do nothng that day for the rest of our lives.
So yes, i would say that you are over reacting a bit.

we all need to say a slient prayer for all our fellow North Americans.. We can not celabrate the reunion of this 9/11 We need to celabrate Americans.. Not this missery... We don't celdrate D-day etc.. Lets not put this on the self... I hope that doesn't sound wrong.. We can not celbrate death of our family... We need to look past that... We need to look forward..

I hope this came out right

Back
Top Bottom