9 day old buckeye blind or sick?

Bmb

Chirping
Apr 30, 2019
Northern WI
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
She is a 9 day old buckeye chick. She stays crouched down and doesn’t walk but I think she is smaller than the other 9.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She stays under heat lamp all the time and cries (peeps very loudly) when she’s not. I take her out to help her drink and put her by the food to eat. She doesn’t use her legs much and uses her wings to not topple over. She is also breathing heavily.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
3 to 4 days
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Her eyes have a dark type of border, maybe crust, around her eyes. No other signs of injury.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
My guess is she got pecked in the eyes and went blind or got a sickness.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She drinks when I take her out and put a tiny bowl to her beak and eats when I set her by the food.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Very normal poop
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Vitamin/electrolyte packet mix in water and keeping the other bird away when she’s eating. Otherwise the trample over her and peck at her eyes. I also put her in her own brooder box for awhile but cried even more than usual so I’m afraid she was afraid and lonely.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I’m looking to help her myself at home.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
I have not taken a picture yet.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
I have a large wooden box built on legs with a lid (chicken netting). They’re in my basement and use a heating plate. Pine shaving for bedding.

Last edited:
B8018F8F-1AE7-4F91-846D-174D51EBD1A5.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom