9 hens, 1 roo, 5 pullets = NO EGGS! What the heck is going on???

Hot weather can throw them off laying too. New birds, crowding, and a predator hanging around are common things that throw chicken off laying.

Sooooo..... You mentioned that they get mean with each other when confined.....
How much space in the coop and run is there (in feet by feet measurements please)?

Hot weather can throw them off laying too. New birds, crowding, and a predator hanging around are common things that throw chicken off laying.

Sooooo..... You mentioned that they get mean with each other when confined.....
How much space in the coop and run is there (in feet by feet measurements please)?
I have a 10'x12' Woods style open air coop. Lots of room but they're spoiled because they get to roam the property everyday.

I have a 10'x12' Woods style open air coop. Lots of room but they're spoiled because they get to roam the property everyday.

That SHOULD be big enough to house them but do you have a way to contain them around the coop like a run or electric fencing?

My big coop is 112 square feet so with yours being 120 square feet it is similar.

If you can set up a space for them to have the inside of the coop and a limited instead of free range space outside the coop it may help retrain them.

Last edited:
That's was my thought as well. Start looking in the bushes and other cover they have access to.

When my hens pull this crap I put them in their run for a few days. No free range. This retrains them to use the nesting boxes.

If you have kids or grandkids, you can turn it into a game.

"OK, kids. We're going to do a pretend Easter egg hunt. There's a reward for however finds the eggs."

(The reward can be simple and doable.)

That SHOULD be big enough to house them but do you have a way to contain them around the coop like a run or electric fencing?

My big coop is 112 square feet so with yours being 120 square feet it is similar.

If you can set up a space for them to have the inside of the coop and a limited instead of free range space outside the coop it may help retrain them.
Thank you. Although they are not laying in the yard as far as I can tell.

If you have kids or grandkids, you can turn it into a game.

"OK, kids. We're going to do a pretend Easter egg hunt. There's a reward for however finds the eggs."

(The reward can be simple and doable.)
We did that at a friend's house, his chickens were hiding eggs, the kids.got some and decorated them. They told him the Easter Bunny must have done it. They were so excited with their little joke.

I think they're not laying. We just added a turkey run near our free range hens and the one layed two compacted eggs with no pigment (stress) then none. Another went broody from the cheeping. Once routine is accepted they should start laying again.

Ok, so egg production at my house is WAY down. I can't believe that for over a month now i've been getting days with no eggs or 1, or at most 3. The flock is healthy and fairly young (just took a couple to the vet and they got clean bills of health), they free-range on a fenced in acre, they have access to oyster shell and crushed egg shells for added calcium, I give them a treat of yogurt about 1x a week, and they've even been getting Layer Boost vitamins in their water which usually always gets them laying big time!. It's summertime, but temps have been in the 55-75 degree range, so not too hot. So why am I only getting 0-3 eggs a day????

Here are the only things I can think of that could be factors:
  • a switch from Scratch n'Peck layer to Scratch n'Peck Grower feed with the addition of the 5 pullets to the flock about 5 weeks
  • one broody hen has new chicks in a chicken tractor set up in my garden, separate from the main coop
  • the month of June and July are 2 of the windiest times on record in my area (regular winds 15-25 mph, with occasional gusts 30-40mph)
Someone please, please, please tell me what I'm doing wrong here? Or what can I do to get my egg laying ladies back on the lay!?
That has happened to me. one time they had a secret nest. The other was when the days and nights were extremely hot - 95-100 during the day and not much better at night.

Ok, so egg production at my house is WAY down. I can't believe that for over a month now i've been getting days with no eggs or 1, or at most 3. The flock is healthy and fairly young (just took a couple to the vet and they got clean bills of health), they free-range on a fenced in acre, they have access to oyster shell and crushed egg shells for added calcium, I give them a treat of yogurt about 1x a week, and they've even been getting Layer Boost vitamins in their water which usually always gets them laying big time!. It's summertime, but temps have been in the 55-75 degree range, so not too hot. So why am I only getting 0-3 eggs a day????

• a switch from Scratch n'Peck layer to Scratch n'Peck Grower feed with the addition of the 5 pullets to the flock about 5 weeks
  • one broody hen has new chicks in a chicken tractor set up in my garden, separate from the main coop
  • the month of June and July are 2 of the windiest times on record in my area (regular winds 15-25 mph, with occasional gusts 30-40mph)
Someone please, please, please tell me what I'm doing wrong here? Or what can I do to get my egg laying ladies back on the lay!?
id stop useing grower, chickens need layer mash, to produce good egg production, sometimes age is a factor, in some chickens, they get to a certain age and egg production can substanialy shut down. june and july are big months for chickens laying cause theres lots of sunlight, haveing a lite on in your coop 24/7 will help egg production

Check them for mites and worms

Check the chickens for mites and worms.

Check their run for signs of rats or other vermin that might be stressing them out at night.

Check if someone is stealing your eggs.

Back
Top Bottom