9 month old aggressive cockeral.

Nathaniel Walton

Chirping
Jun 4, 2017
Mickleton - County Durham
Hi all, about 8-9 months ago I hatched my first chicks (although i have been keeping hens for around 8 years), 21/24 hatches and 19 are still alive and well, however I have an Exchequer Leghorn cockerel which is extremely aggressive towards my parents and my siblings. It has no problems with me as I assume it recognizes me as its 'dad' as i feed them etc every day.

We are the nearing the point of having to get rid of this cockerel as we are starting a new holiday cottage this Friday, and have come to the conclusion that we cannot take the risk of Jasper (The EL cockerel) attacking the people staying in the holiday cottage.

The whole point of this is to ask for any ways in which you think I can limit this cockerels aggressive behavior, does anyone know any methods of calming him down and stopping him from being so aggressive?

TIA, Nat.

There is no quick and easy fix for an aggressive cockerel. Even if you get him to be calm toward your family members, that doesn't mean he won't attack others. I will post a link to one method on how to tame an aggressive rooster, but your whole family would have to use this approach, and then the people staying in the cottage would likely have to start all over doing the same thing. He sounds like a liability, to be honest.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/adding-to-your-flock.47756/

There is no quick and easy fix for an aggressive cockerel. Even if you get him to be calm toward your family members, that doesn't mean he won't attack others. I will post a link to one method on how to tame an aggressive rooster, but your whole family would have to use this approach, and then the people staying in the cottage would likely have to start all over doing the same thing. He sounds like a liability, to be honest.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/adding-to-your-flock.47756/

Yeah, he is a liability and if i hadn't raised him from day one he would be gone by now, i am just trying to stop him from being aggressive but I cannot see that happening. I think Jaspers' reign is almost over :(

I'm sorry to hear this is happening. We had a rooster a couple years ago that attacked our family but no strangers.

We eventually decided to cull him but he gave his life defending a broody chick from a fox before we could. He was so wonderful with the girls that was the only reason we kept him that long. When we didn't have him any longer it was so much calmer and it was so nice not having to worry.

Even if he does stop attacking you guys I wouldn't suggest breeding him. It's likely his aggressive behavior will be passed on.

If you want to give him some time to try and mature I won't tell you not to but it's likely you'll never trust him fully. Also there are many more wonderful roosters out there needing homes.

Back
Top Bottom