9 month old Swedish Flower Hen sleeping way too much

sreed

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 6, 2014
Hello,

I have a 9 month old Swedidh flower hen that is acting really lazy. I noticed yesterday she was sleeping in the run on the dirt and last night she went inside the coop while the other 8 hens were free ranging. She is usually the most active one I have but as of right now I think I'm going to lose her. So she will not eat or drink and she is sleeping in a quarantined rabbit cage I have. I brought her inside to give her a warm bath and she if she might have lice or mites and nothing she actually fell alsleep in the sink. I've never wormed my birds before and not sure exactly how to, but I have not seen any worms either. I gave her some VETRX and scrambled eggs and yogurt still nothing. She laid and egg today that was soft not shell and she is pooping green watery poop.

Any suggestions I'll try them.

Welcome to BYC. Those symptoms can be similar to many different problems, such as coccidiosis, worms, internal laying/egg yolk peritonitis, egg bound, or an obstruction somewhere in her GI tract, such as the crop, preventriculis, or gizzard. Feel of her crop to see if it is empty, full and hard, or full and squishy like a balloon. Look at all of her droppings. The watery green droppings may be due to not eating. When they refuse scrambled or cooked eggs, they are really sick. If a vet is not an option, I would get some Corid right away and treat her water for coccidiosis. You will need to give her some undiluted, and then syringe or dropper feed her. Tube feeding is something that can be done when a bird is refusing to eat. Here is a thread about it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

Was your hen vaccinated for Mareks disease, or have you ever had a chicken die from an unknown cause? Valbazen and Safeguard liquid or paste are 2 very good wormers for chickens, but I would not worm her until she is drinking normally.

Corid (amprollium) is best for coccidiosis, but if you can find that, then get sulfadimethoxine or sulmet. They are all found in the cattle sections of feed stores. Dosage is 2 tsp of liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of powder Corid to 1 gallon of water for 5-7 days. I would give her some undiluted liquid Corid 2 drops 2-3 times daily by mouth until she is drinking well. You can mix the powder in 2 tsp of water, and get the same mixture.

I bought my chicken from a private person I not sure if they were ever treated for Mareks. I will call her tomorrow and ask. I have 9 hens and she is the only one to ever get sick.

I do have baby chicks that one of my buffs hatched and they are in the house so they are safe. But I need to treat them as well once they get older correct they are 3 weeks old now.

Back
Top Bottom