9 MONTHS Old Still Not Laying???

eveleychook

Songster
Feb 23, 2020
I have a few pullets, most of them nearly 9 months of age. Some of them have large dark red combs and wattles. My blue Australorp, my welsummer pullets and Gold Laced Barnavelder have nice combs. When will they still start laying? Please see images below.

IMG20210508112010.jpg
IMG20210508111936.jpg
IMG20210508111941.jpg

IMG20210508112053.jpg

IMG20210508112116.jpg
IMG20210508112119.jpg

You don't say where you are. You can add your general location to your profile & this will help others to help you. You may think this is irrelevant to your question but I am in Australia & most of my layers are now moulting & off the lay. I specifically buy hens that will mature as my older girls stop laying to ensure I have a steady supply of eggs but not every hen will lay over the winter months & may wait to start laying to the spring. However if you are in the northern hemisphere the longer daylight hours now happening will help bring your girls onto the lay.

Signs to look for are large, bright red wattles & comb.
If you know how, check her vent, which should be moist & red.
There should be a 3 finger space between the hen's pelvic bones.
She may squat for you.
She will probably show interest in the nesting boxes
A lot of my girls go slightly nutty just before laying, running round clucking & in & out of the coop.

You don't say where you are. You can add your general location to your profile & this will help others to help you. You may think this is irrelevant to your question but I am in Australia & most of my layers are now moulting & off the lay. I specifically buy hens that will mature as my older girls stop laying to ensure I have a steady supply of eggs but not every hen will lay over the winter months & may wait to start laying to the spring. However if you are in the northern hemisphere the longer daylight hours now happening will help bring your girls onto the lay.

Signs to look for are large, bright red wattles & comb.
If you know how, check her vent, which should be moist & red.
There should be a 3 finger space between the hen's pelvic bones.
She may squat for you.
She will probably show interest in the nesting boxes
A lot of my girls go slightly nutty just before laying, running round clucking & in & out of the coop.
I am also located in Australia. Thanks for the reply. Some of the hens are showing some of the signs you have mentioned. They may not lay now, or straight away, but at least I can be sure that they may lay in future. Thanks again for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom