9-week Duck feed - too much Protein?

Maddog_photog

Songster
May 22, 2020
San Diego, CA
At the behest of a BYC user, I got Purina Duck pellets. They are 19% crude protein. Is this too much for my 9 week old Pekins? Will they begin to develop Angel Wing, or has that time passed? If it is too much, I can cut it with uncooked oatmeal. I also add an additional 2 TBSP of Brewer’s Yeast per 1 cup of pellets, which is in addition to the 27.22 mg/Lb in the pellets. Is Brewer’s Yeast a lifelong supplement for ducks, or just for growing up process? @Isaac 0 ’s article on niacin deficiency in waterfowl mentions that the niacin needs drop after 10 weeks of age, what does that mean exactly? Do I stop the Brewer’s Yeast?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 22
Many people here, have fed Purina Duck Pellets with no problems, @DuckyDonna is one. So to answer your question, no, 19% protein is not too much. There would be no need to cut the protein with oats either.

So, Pekins and other heavyweight breeds generally should have around at least 70mg of niacin per kilo of feed, the problem is most feed's for ducks only contain around 55mg per kilo. Without a supplemental source of niacin, these heavyweight breeds often develop leg problems associated with a niacin deficient diet. That's why it's a good idea to supplement them with niacin until they are around 8-10 weeks, where their niacin needs drop down to 55mg per kilo, which the feed alone should cover.

If the brewer's yeast is getting a little too expensive, you can supplement with other sources like vitamin B complex.

Many people here, have fed Purina Duck Pellets with no problems, @DuckyDonna is one. So to answer your question, no, 19% protein is not too much. There would be no need to cut the protein with oats either.

So, Pekins and other heavyweight breeds generally should have around at least 70mg of niacin per kilo of feed, the problem is most feed's for ducks only contain around 55mg per kilo. Without a supplemental source of niacin, these heavyweight breeds often develop leg problems associated with a niacin deficient diet. That's why it's a good idea to supplement them with niacin until they are around 8-10 weeks, where their niacin needs drop down to 55mg per kilo, which the feed alone should cover.

If the brewer's yeast is getting a little too expensive, you can supplement with other sources like vitamin B complex.
Awesome! Brewer’s Yeast isn’t getting expensive - mostly a time issue. After the next week, I’ll save time but just giving straight pellets without having to moisten and sprinkle the BY. This is good news. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom