9 week old chick crowing

TRALALARA1

Songster
Mar 3, 2022
Oklahoma
I just heard one of my 9 week old chicks crow. I’m not sure which one it was but it was definitely a chick, not my big rooster. Isn’t it pretty early for that? I’ve got a couple that look like mostly EE with fairly big combs. I’m thinking it was one of them. Most of the rest look like pullets.
IMG_3173.jpeg
IMG_3174.jpeg

I think you have 2 roos. Both the ones with the red leakage through their wings. Grey one in top pic and then the ine next to the barred rocm in the bottom pic

I think you have 2 roos. Both the ones with the red leakage through their wings. Grey one in top pic and then the ine next to the barred rocm in the bottom pic
I’ve had chicks start crowing about then. I thin the earliest may have been 7-8 weeks. It was 4 barnyard mixes, of which 3 ended up being cockerels. Idk, maybe more boys means quicker maturation? But yeah, looks like a couple Roos in those pictures.

What’s funny is that one next to the br in second picture has almost no comb and little color to it and is a pip squeak. Tiny. That would make 3 cockerels. The black, the reddish partridge and the little one we call Squeaker. But that’s the three I’ve been watching for roo signs.

What’s funny is that one next to the br in second picture has almost no comb and little color to it and is a pip squeak. Tiny. That would make 3 cockerels. The black, the reddish partridge and the little one we call Squeaker. But that’s the three I’ve been watching for roo signs.
Most of the time with EE red leakage in the neck/wings means cockeral.

Question- at least in my situation, I ended up with 3 cockerels , but I’m pretty sure I heard at least two distinct crows. Are you just hearing one?
Honestly, I only heard someone crow twice before we left for town and it sounded like just one crowing twice. But I didn’t see them so…🤷🏼‍♀️

Most of the time with EE red leakage in the neck/wings means cockeral.
Yes, the black one has some very light red on the wings and the brown one too. And the little one has very blotchy color. I’ve just never seen a little cockerel with so small and underdeveloped comb. It’s been interesting to watch it. It’s very brave and always the first one to run up to me but it’s kept in its place by all of the others since it’s so small.

Back
Top Bottom