9 week old chickie just died, why?

mediazeal

Songster
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
I just found the 'little one' of the 9 week olds dying. I got her out of the brooder and put her in a small hospital brooder, went to fill the waterer and when I came back she was on her side and flapping around. Then she just died.

There were only 3 pullets in the first 12 hatched, all now 9 weeks. The boys are all out in the coop til they can be rehomed and I put the girls in with the now 5 week old 'next batch' so the girls in the two batches would get aquainted and go out in the coop together since I can only keep hens.

I called the one that just died 'Lil Bit' as she was smaller than the two other pullets (golden penciled hamburgs). She seemed a little standoff-ish last night, not sleeping in the group, but had eaten yogurt treats, regular crumbles and water all day.

They have not picked on her at all. She was always first in to get treats etc and very fast on her feet.

So I wonder why she died, I saw no symptoms like bloody poop etc. She got lethargic for 12 hours and then fell over flapping (trying to right herself) and died. Being new to chickens, I dont' know what else to look for as symptoms now that she is gone.

And of course I am now going to worry about the other 8 she was sharing the huge inside brooder with. How long do I have to consider them exposed to something potentially contagious?

All chicks here were hatched out by me, no other 'chicken germs'
These are my first chickens ever.

Any ideas on what happened to her and how to keep the rest healthy will be of great comfort to me.
thanks all

Sorry for your loss.

Wish I could help. I've had chickens of varied ages do just what you described, but it's a rare occurance.

you say it was smaller? I'm sure it had some internal defect that it was born with. Sometimes it just happens.. I think it was lucky to have been loved and cared for as it was. I'm so sorry, I know its hard regardless!
hugs.gif

gonzo&hispeeps :

you say it was smaller? I'm sure it had some internal defect that it was born with. Sometimes it just happens.. I think it was lucky to have been loved and cared for as it was. I'm so sorry, I know its hard regardless!
hugs.gif

Thanks folks
yes, the 'it was the runt' theory is high on the list and really is the preferred reason as far as I'm concerned. I'm worried it was something contagious. Nothing has changed environmentally. Food, bedding, water, treats... all the same as usual. No cleaning products used near them, no burning teflon, no predators, no being picked on by the others, etc.

If anyone has any ideas that would help the rest of the chickies stay healthy, please mention them.

You know how we are, we always love the little one that needs our help a little bit more.
sad.png

do you put apple cider vinager in their water? I put a teapoon to a gallon of water, and I put a full squirt of poly vi sol infant drops without iron in the water too. The aple cider vinager helps tem absorb vitamins. Also give the some plain yogurt. Its full of helpful bacteria that also helps vitamin absorbson, and aids in digestion. It also makesit harder for cocci. to florish in their bodies. I ope this helps!
frow.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Send it off to UCDavis for that free (you pay for the shipping) diagnosis...a moderator on this forum has listed the info before on how to do it if you're interested...

Back
Top Bottom