9 weeks old too young ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dee Dee 2, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Dee Dee 2

Dee Dee 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Tomball, Tx.
    I need advise please. I want to get some baby chicks next week. I need to be away for two weeks, first part of May. The babies would be about 9 weeks old when I leave. I have the pet sitter only let the chickens out into the fenced (elec.) chicken yard when I am away and give them 'treat' bags every day. My current flock of 3 hens and one very sweet roo would be in the chicken yard while I am away. QUESTION IS : Would it be safe to let 9 week old chicks out with the big birds at that time ? I do not want to come home to a bunch of dead, pecked to death baby chicks. I have seen people have something in the pen the young-uns can run under that the big birds can NOT fit under. ? Any advice appreciated. Thanks !

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    *I* would not try to get to the point of integration and cohabitation at that age and right before an extended absence on your part. A pet sitter is going to be ill-equipped to deal with the issues that can arise and will not be there to provide the sort of supervision that can keep a skrimmish from becoming a blood bath by interceding and separating when the trouble starts vs. just finding the aftermath when they make their daily visit.

3. mrballance

mrballance Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I agree with the Ol Grey Mare !! Keep them apart till 12 weeks, Then keep an eye on them.

4. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    I usually integrate chicks with the adults around 13 to 16 weeks of age. This would be very risky at 9 weeks, especially considering you would be away.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by