90 degrees today & panting chickens

Knock Kneed Hen

California Dream'in Chickens
9 Years
Feb 15, 2010
So. Cal.
I know chickens don't take the heat well. My run is cover so they 100% shade and there was a mild breeze. I was surprised to see them panting. I left their coop door open to their run this evening and added ice cubes to their water. How hot has it been where you are and what are you doing to combat the heat?

It was 98 here today, mine are shaded and I changed their water mid afternoon so they could cool off. I might put wader pools in their pens if they look more stressed tomorrow. I try not to coddle them too much when the temps start to rise, because it will get a LOT hotter here and they need to acclimate. It is not unlikely to be 115 or so for a few days straight some time this summer.

Hahaha! I wish it was 90 here, that would be nice cool weather for us. We've had temps in the upper 90's and low 100's with very high humidity in the 90's too. Walk outside for 5 minutes and you're soaked with sweat, shower time! My chickens are pretty much used to it as it starts early early in the year and continues sometimes into October. I change their water 3 times a day and they either lay under bushes or lay in holes that they dug. Once a week I'll give them chilled watermelon,they love that and eat it down to the skin. I have a small fan rigged up to blow air inside their house to keep the air circulated during the day. I also put ice cubes in their water. My chickens pant and spread their wings to keep cool as well.

It's 3:00AM and it's still 91 outside. I imagine they are still panting on the roosts.

Friday it's suppose to hit 117. I imagine I'll lose a couple this week.

It's just too hot.

Wow Mahonri! I dont know how yall handle that dry heat out there. At least the high humidity here keeps us sweating. I suppose you have to take extraordinary precautions for your chickens.

freeze 2 liter bottles and put them in with them, they will snuggle with it and keep cool- also a mister helps or water down the run, the heat index here was 110, and watch them closely- a couple of my special needs banties came inside until it cools down

bottle.jpg

have also heard to give them frozen veggies

I have 2 fans running in the coop and they will stay in there when its really hot. We've had about 2 weeks with temps 95+. I let them out later in the afternoon and they immediately head for the large snowball bush next to my well cap. There is fine gravel all around and they like to hang out there in the shade and cool stone. I wet it down with the hose and even the run too. Ice in the water and cool treats like refrigerated watermelon.

Quote:
WHOA!! I just wanted to share that I just picked up a St. Bernard dog that had been dumped on the highway out there in Riverside county
somad.gif
. Fortunately for her, a passerby saw her in distress and took her home then contacted us. I can't imagine she would have lasted much longer out there. I didn't realize it got that hot in Norco. I'm in Julian and the highs are supposed to get to 94 today. I guess I should count my blessings.

This is going to sound crazy. But, in Minnesota we had a could of HOT and very humid days. We had panting chickens and I had the fans and cool water alrady in place. THEN I read to spray water on the roof of the coop. Stretched out the hose and gave it a good soaking. IT WORKED!! Cooled it down a LOT. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom