90 Degrees - WI Summer

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jadecinadr96, Jul 12, 2019 at 10:15 AM.

1. Jadecinadr96

Jadecinadr96 Songster

Mar 25, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Hi there, I live in WI and our summers can get super hot. Next week it going to be HUMID and 90 all week. I plan to put fruit and veggies in ice cubes so that the chickens have lots of ice to peck on all day, however being that hot it will melt........ so I plan to put a kitty pool in the outdoor run with minimum water in case they wanna cool off - but any suggestions on how to keep them cool other than what I plan to do??? Their coop floor is concrete so I assume they could go in there for some shade and lay on the concerte but still???

DobieLover likes this.
  2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    The best thing is deep shade on damp ground but if you don't have that...
    I use large plastic cereal containers and freeze big chunks of ice in them. I pop them out into a shallow plastic pan weighed down with bricks and allow that to melt. As it does, the chickens sip the cold water and wade in it too. I will be adding a floor fan to the run to blow across the birds. I will secure it in such a way that the chickens can't get too close to it.
    upload_2019-7-12_11-39-46.png
    Twice a week, offer a second waterer with electrolytes in it. Always offer fresh, clean, cool water too.
    Giving them frozen fruit to eat is good during the high heat of the day. I do this as soon as I get home. We have crested 90 several days now and my birds are doing great.
    They also have a cheapo 20" box fan blowing across most of the roosting space at night.

Jadecinadr96 likes this.
  3. Jadecinadr96

Jadecinadr96 Songster

Mar 25, 2019
    Wisconsin
    perfect, thank you!!!!!!

DobieLover likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Is that the plastic bag inside the cereal box?

We're getting the same here, am dreading it...the last 2 days were delightful at about 75-80.

I'd nix the 'frozen foods'.
    This is what I've found works best.
    Deep all day shade is best but....
    I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves. It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
    Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place. Always have plain water available too.
    [​IMG]

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
    Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
    [​IMG]

Make space in your freezer!
    I use a big tote and only fill partway, pretty easy to move from sink to freezer.
    Some folks use cake pans(where I got the idea originally)
    [​IMG]

5. DobieLover

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    :lol: No!
    It's this.
    IMG_20190713_090839518.jpg

muddy75 likes this.
  6. awizkey

awizkey Chirping

Apr 22, 2017
    Northeastern Ohio
    I'm in Ohio and have the same summers here. I just make sure they have fresh water all day and in my run there is always a shady spot no matter where the sun is. They dig holes in the moist dirt to lay in and fair pretty well.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I knew the bag probably wasn't correct....so ....ah, now I see!
    Hmmm, got me thinking about different containers that are easier to handle and waste less space in freezer, but still have the capacity to make a long lasting ice chunk.

8. DobieLover

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    I bought them as a three pack and tossed the lids. I always have 2 in the chest freezer I keep my dog food in down in the basement. In the morning I fill up the empty and carry it down and swap out for the frozen container that has been in there the longest as it takes a while for the entire thing to freeze.
    I leave the frozen container upside down in the sink while I get ready for work. Pop it into the tub before I leave. There is always ice left when I get home from work.
    I have cameras set up in the coop, run and pen so I see them wading in it and sipping it during the day.

aart likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: