911!!! Clucky may die!!!!

Herroyalhenness

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 12, 2012
A few weeks ago, we brought our barred rock, Kate inside because her sisters were starving her to the point where she could barely stand up. Kate was inside for about a week or two over new years, seemingly fine, but having terrible diarrhea. Finally, she collapsed, and died.

Last week, our Americauna, Clucky weighed less than a pound (definately rough estimation, but it was like picking up a balloon). We took her in, gave her a bunch of food, and water with electrolytes, not to mention medicine for worms and such. we still don't know what's wrong, but it's different this time. She hasn't pooped in the week since we brought her inside, but her butt was covered in it when we found her. Like Kate, her crop is huge, and she's all puffed up, but she's lying face-down as opposed to how Kate was lying on her side when she passed away. She's not eating or laying anymore, just like Kate, but she's still responding when we pet her, move the box she's in, etc... We gave her everything we could think of. We can't even take her to a vet because my dad refuses to. He says we should concentrate on the remaining chickens, and I can't just sit by and watch her die!

Nobody replied to my last post in time to save Kate, so I'm praying someone sees this in time to save Clucky

A few weeks ago, we brought our barred rock, Kate inside because her sisters were starving her to the point where she could barely stand up. Kate was inside for about a week or two over new years, seemingly fine, but having terrible diarrhea. Finally, she collapsed, and died.

Last week, our Americauna, Clucky weighed less than a pound (definately rough estimation, but it was like picking up a balloon). We took her in, gave her a bunch of food, and water with electrolytes, not to mention medicine for worms and such. we still don't know what's wrong, but it's different this time. She hasn't pooped in the week since we brought her inside, but her butt was covered in it when we found her. Like Kate, her crop is huge, and she's all puffed up, but she's lying face-down as opposed to how Kate was lying on her side when she passed away. She's not eating or laying anymore, just like Kate, but she's still responding when we pet her, move the box she's in, etc... We gave her everything we could think of. We can't even take her to a vet because my dad refuses to. He says we should concentrate on the remaining chickens, and I can't just sit by and watch her die!

Nobody replied to my last post in time to save Kate, so I'm praying someone sees this in time to save Clucky
Sorry no one saw your other post. I'm gonna suggest you read about crop impaction, this is just my two cents...

what did you worm with, if she were mine i'd isolate, get her on electrolytes- i can post recipe for that, monitor her, what are you feeding them?

Electolytes
1 cup water
2 teaspoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
Use full strength on severely ailing chickens, otherwise mix into their drinking water as needed, a cup per gallon of water.

in case she has a crop issue:

What is Sour Crop?
Sour crop is a laymen’s term used for when the crop of a chicken is overloaded with the yeast candida.The term is also used loosely to refer to an overgrowth of bacteria or fungus in the crop. Basically, any type of infection (fungal,yeast, or bacteria) which will cause a slowing or cease the emptying process of the crop to the proventriculous,leading to malnutrition. This is not to be confused with Impacted Crop… which is a crop packed full of material that will not pass.

How to know if you are dealing with Sour Crop:
Signs of sour crop are very loose watery green stools, lethargy, puffiness, and a crop which feels like a water balloon.
If you feel your chicken’s crop and you feel a ‘water balloon’ crop, don’t panic right away. She may have just drank a ton of water.What I suggest if you have a few other symptoms which coorelate with sour crop is to:

1. Isolate your bird alone
2. Pull food and water for at least 12-18 hours
3. Give subcutaneous fluids if possible (NOTHING BYMOUTH!)
4. Check crop after 12-18 hours with no food

If at the end of this process the crop is still large and feels like a balloon, you are most likely dealing with sour crop.

Treatment:
The only form of treatment is with therapeutic agents. Fluconazole is the best medication in my opinion to treating sour crop and I try to always keep some on hand, but must be prescribed by a Veterinarian. Nystatin is also a good drug. It tends to coat the intestinal lining including crop and proventriculous, but does not absorb into the body and distribute as does fluconazole. You may order Nystatin with a prescription at www.firststatevetsupply.com . You should always have Nystatin on hand! After you have given 2-3 doses of meds, slowly start back on a bland diet of rice and scrambled eggs… Very small amounts, and pulling food and water at night making sure the crop is emptying correctly. It is very easy to get overly excited as they will show improvement quickly, but it is crucial to carry out and finish all medication for at least 14 days.

THE DO NOTS:
1. DO NOT TURN YOUR BIRD UPSIDE DOWN AND ATTEMPT TO MAKE HER VOMIT! While this may empty her crop a bit, you are not doing anything about the overflux of yeast or bacteria. You seriously run the risk of aspirating your chicken while doing this as well.
2. DO NOT ADD ACV TO THE DIET: Cider vinegar will only add to the acidic burden. If anything, you may do a baking soda flush once the crop is ½ to ¼ empty. 1tsp baking soda to a cup of warm water and tube and
massage.
3. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SOLVE THISWITH OLIVE OIL: If you tube your bird with oil, and it aspirates on a drop, there is not coming back from that. So never tube with oil.
4. NO DAIRY: Birds do not digest dairy well and we want to make things as easy to digest as possible.

that sounds a lot like what she has. We have her on electrolytes, and I'm pulling her food now. we treated her with olive oil earlier, and (thank God) she didn't aspirate, and actually opened her eyes (I also gave her water via dropper) She hasn't eaten in a day or so. I'm just glad she's improving some

that sounds a lot like what she has. We have her on electrolytes, and I'm pulling her food now. we treated her with olive oil earlier, and (thank God) she didn't aspirate, and actually opened her eyes (I also gave her water via dropper) She hasn't eaten in a day or so. I'm just glad she's improving some

awesome!! if you find you have to give liquids, i drip it on the beak and they suck it down- keep us posted!

She was on her side this morning, but I think she was just hungry. Her crop is significantly smaller, but a lot more compact, so I gave her about two eyedroppers of olive oil which she sucked down (I drip it on her beak too). Again, she fought, which I presume is good, and I gave her two or three eyedroppers full of electrolyte water. I don't think she likes the way it tastes, but oh well. in the meantime, she ate about 1/4 of the can of cat food (more than she's eaten in days!) before I was able to pull it, and now she's at home with a smaller can after being denied food for the night. I can't be with her right now, since I have college classes, but I'll check on her tonight and post again

Back
Top Bottom