911-HELP

GraceMontague

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2021
Help!
My second chick hatched but I just found it by itself. The hen moved a little and it was cold, but alive. I put it back under her. Can I warm it under a brooder plate to dry it out overnight? I reduced the amount of space she has for the night & moved food/water so she can reach it without getting up, hopefully she won't get off it again tonight. I need it to dry out and get a little energy.
What would you do?

Help!
My second chick hatched but I just found it by itself. The hen moved a little and it was cold, but alive. I put it back under her. Can I warm it under a brooder plate to dry it out overnight? I reduced the amount of space she has for the night & moved food/water so she can reach it without getting up, hopefully she won't get off it again tonight. I need it to dry out and get a little energy.
What would you do?
While I am rather new to this, I've had something similar happen to one of my own chicks, I'd suggest using a hairdryer on its low setting to dry her off if you can, then after that try getting her to eat and drink a little before returning her to their mother, just be careful not to over heat the little guy.

I hope this is able to help you out!

Thank you all!
It survived the night under mom. I moved the little family into a dog crate on the ground floor of the coop while it was still dark out. I'm excited to check ok them I the daylight soon.

I need it to dry out and get a little energy.

For energy, start by just letting it sleep for the night. Baby chicks are tired when they hatch, and need a lot of sleep in the first few days.

Just before the chick hatched, it absorbed the yolk sac, and that can provide enough food for several days. So it's good to provide food and water, and it's fine if the chick wants to eat soon, but you don't need to worry if it just sleeps under the hen for a day or two.

Back
Top Bottom