9am to 9pm should i step in and help alittle chick?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silkieboxerluv, Apr 8, 2008.

1. silkieboxerluv

silkieboxerluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    His beak is out and hes chirping. Just not alot of progress since this morning. What should I or shouldnt I do?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Not yet, give at least till day 22 or 24 hours after piping.

3. Crazy4GameCocks

Crazy4GameCocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    when mine go that long with no progress i help lil by chiping the shell away small pices at a time but if it starts to bleed put a worm cloth on it and stop for a few hours and start again i keep doing this til the chick is out when mine seem to have a had time

4. silkieboxerluv

Mar 28, 2008
    Why would it bleed? Sorry to new at this..

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    It will bleed because the blood vessels/veining and yolk sac have not fully been absorbed yet....Wait 22 to 24 hours from pipping to zipping out....

6. silkieboxerluv

Mar 28, 2008
    Hmm ok. I must read some more![​IMG]

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I helped two out at my last hatch.

The membranes were dried and the chick couldn't do anything to get out.

If you can see in without opening - check the membrane if you can see it - doe sit look dry? whats your humidity?

My first move if the membrane is dry would be to up that humidity - I had a warm bowl of water handy and lots of paper-towels folded up into long pieces....
    I took the egg out, onto a warm wet papertowel in my hand and picked off a couple of pieces of shell, try not to nick the membrane as thats when you'll get bleeding if you're too early - once you've picked off a few pieces - if you can ZIP the shell for the chick that might help as well. I put the egg back for an hour or so, with the paper towel still wrapped around it.

Make sure you UP that room temp as high as you can - I had a space heater next to me all the time - on HIGH (an oil heater if it makes a difference)

Every couple of hours I would remove the egg, and take off another few pieces of shell - you can SEE through the membrane and see if there is blood, if you see blood - wrap the egg and put it back for a few more hours.

Its a very long drawn out process. Each chick I helped out took me an entire day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by