9mo old pullet unable to use 1 leg below the hock.

Their coop is about 2.5 feet off the ground, and if she decided to bypass the ramp to get out, she may have just landed awkwardly. I'm sure gimping around on it for a week didn't help things.
Ahhh...yes, sometimes they race around freaking out, crashing into things and I just cringe.
My roo was limping heavily a couple weeks ago, who knows what he did...kept a close eye on him and luckily it got better after a week or so.

I realize this thread is a couple of months old, but I have a 5 month old Serama pullet with the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. She walks just like the pullet in the U-tube video at the beginning of the thread. Her left foot protrudes forward and she hobbles along on her right foot. This started about a week ago. I first attempted to strap both legs so her left leg wouldn't be able to stick forward. She became very stressed out and managed to remove it. I also tried making a splint, but couldn't figure out how to do it correctly.

I'm letting her stay in the pen with the other Serama's during the day, and putting her in a dog crate at night so she won't try to roost.
Culling is not an option unless her quality of life greatly diminishes.
Her name is Blanche Dubois (she's always "relied on the kindness of strangers",
roll.png
) and she's my favorite little girl. Even with the bad leg, she still flies up and lands on my hand or arm when I enter her pen.
I'm going to attempt to upload some pics of her and a "shaky" video I took. If they are not here, please watch the U-tube video posted by the original author at the beginning of this thread as Blanche walks exactly like that pullet.
I would like to know how to splint her leg at least enough to help her with balance when walking. I should note, her leg still has movement when I hold her and she can still open and close her toes (but they're starting to curl).
I got the pics uploaded but the video is confusing.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

One of my 6 month old silky girls is doing the exact same thing. She was just fine in the morning and limping in the aftetnoon. She allows me to move the joints without jerking away in pain. She is eating and drinking. She is 1 of 4, no rooster. She is still but when I come in with treats she hops fast. I think I am going to watch it see. If the others start to plck on her I will have to ?

Mine was being occasionally chased by an aggressive Bantam Americana. Today, I moved Blanche into her own coop and run to eliminate having to hop and hobble away from the Americana.

I was hoping to get more of a response from BYC members on how to splint her leg. I also have this posted as a new thread on this same forum. My only response was from someone who was kind enough to send me links on vitamin deficiency and Mareks disease. I'm 100% sure its not Mareks, but I'm adding Vit B2 to her water now just in case its's a deficiency.

Good luck with your Silkie. If we knew how to correctly splint the bad leg, yours could possibly make a full recovery by catching it so soon. Mine has had the problem for about 10 days now.

For my pullet, a splint wouldn't have done anything as it was her entire hip socket that was broken. I had little luck finding threads about this type of injury and while it seems that it's more common than we would like, I haven't found any good treatment ideas.

Back
Top Bottom