_Fresh Air Poultry Houses_ (a book review and commentary)

Thanks a bunch for posting this thread, this is something I have been trying to research further.

There is a farm not far from me here in VA that sells hutches and coops they call "maintenance free". They are open not only on the south wall like in the fresh air method, but they have a mesh floor. When I first saw them, I simply dismissed them, thinking that was too much exposure to the elements, but now I think I will take a visit and ask them questions about their design. Such a low maintenance design sound very tempting, but I wonder how their chickens fare over the winter with so much exposure. The advantage for me is the fact that they are local and any information they give me will be directly relevant to our local weather. If I learn anything relevant, I will come back and add that information.

Any questions you guys have in mind for me to ask, since I'm a noob and might not think of something pertinent?

Quote:
Thanks for this link!!!!
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks for this link!!!!
smile.png

The book has some good food for thought and some good plans in it. Woods did a good deed by getting folks to open there poultry houses up to get fresh air in and moisture out. Different locations will get different results, fo course.

Be aware, too, that the link above is to the 1912 version. The newer 1924 version has a bit more information in it...seems I saw it online somewhere but haven't had any luck finding it again.

Best wishes,
Ed

Back
Top Bottom