A Barbezieux Thread.

mine didn't - in fact, he was very slow to start. I think the absence or presence of mature roos has something to do with it.
I think you are right, they seem to be responding to the neighborhood crowing................

When I heard them crowing this morning I let them out with an older cockerel. I let my older Bresse cockerel chase them around and terrorize them for a few hours. I hoping that he will put them under his wings and establish a new order. This is helping him build up his self confidence. He gets hen pecked all day by the older hens.

Last edited:
Did anyone process any hens? My hens look skinny in comparison to the males. They must be around 2 1/2 months old. This breed isn't working out for me. However, I notice that they started eating more, I wonder if they will start to fill in by 4 months.

Barbeziuex remind me of the Minorca! :love
And like my black penedesencas. I was looking for barbaziuex when I found black pennys.

20201125_120807.jpg

I went to put a velcro crowing collar on my Barbeziuex cockerel, but his neck feathers hasn't grown in yet, so I let him slide. they are tall and lanky at 2 1/2 months with long tail feathers, they remind me of fighting chickens. I have three males and I see them fighting out in the yard early in the morning when ever I let them out. The little older Bresse cockerel, always run over and break them up.

Did anyone process any hens? My hens look skinny in comparison to the males. They must be around 2 1/2 months old. This breed isn't working out for me. However, I notice that they started eating more, I wonder if they will start to fill in by 4 months.
I haven't processed any (and don't intend to) but they did take a long time to fill out; more like 6 months for the hen, and a year for the cock though he was set back badly by a fox attack.

I haven't processed any (and don't intend to) but they did take a long time to fill out; more like 6 months for the hen, and a year for the cock though he was set back badly by a fox attack.
I just placed an order for 10 cornish roasters and 5 white plymouth rocks from McMurray Hatchery, I should get it sometime in April. Right now the Barbeziuex males sound like baby crows, but its beginning to worry me. Its game over for me if the neighbors get annoyed.

I will have to process them before April to make room for my meat birds. I am going to try and mate the cornish roaster with a white plymouth rock, and white Bresse and then mate the babies from the two different pairs.

The cornish male roasters grow to 9 pounds in 12 weeks, without the leg problems associated with cornish x crosses, so they out perform the Barbezieux for meat.
DSCN0247.JPG

Last edited:
I just placed an order for 10 cornish roasters and 5 white plymouth rocks from McMurray Hatchery, I should get it sometime in April. Right now the Barbeziuex males sound like baby crows, but its beginning to worry me. Its game over for me if the neighbors get annoyed.

I will have to process them before April to make room for my meat birds. I am going to try and mate the cornish roaster with a white plymouth rock, and white Bresse and then mate the babies from the two different pairs.

The cornish male roasters grow to 9 pounds in 12 weeks, without the leg problems associated with cornish x crosses, so they out perform the Barbezieux for meat.View attachment 2518861
I've got a bunch of cornish x Ive been doing. I have two hens in the group I was hoping to keep slim enough to try a cross with a maran but they are turning into waddle birds.
Hope you make a thread so I can observe.

I've got a bunch of cornish x Ive been doing. I have two hens in the group I was hoping to keep slim enough to try a cross with a maran but they are turning into waddle birds.
Hope you make a thread so I can observe.
I have one started for my Bresse and Cuckoo Orpington cross and I will pair a crooked toe Bresse and Australorp tomorrow and if God is willing I'll pair those two different crosses together. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bresse-crossed-wit-cuckoo-lemon-orpington.1437569/

Amazing, I saw this 2 1/2 month old Barbeziuex cockerel jump on a mature Australorp hen today. I had to do a double take. He is really talented............

Now that I think about it, this cross will improve the egg laying ability of its offspring. That would solve the skinny hen problem, at least they can be decent egg layers.

DSCN0254.JPG

do you know if with brexit it would be possible to ship live chicks or hatching eggs to greece?

what breeds do you have?

Back
Top Bottom