A Barbezieux Thread.

I processed a 4 month old Barbeziuex rooster, it came in at 3 1/2 lbs. dressed. My 4 month old Bresse rooster that I processed about two weeks ago came in at 5 lbs dressed. I am going to let the barbeziuex rest for a few days before I roast it on an open fire.

I'll decide what I am going to do with this line after I taste the chicken......................

If I think it taste unique I may try crossing it with a cornish roaster from Mcmurray to speed up the growth

Last edited:
Its true what they said about the Barbeziuex chicken being the number one roasting chicken. What makes it unique is the thickness of its skin, and the smell of its juices dripping on the hot charcoal. I used the same rotisserie grill, and my senses are telling me its going to taste better than the Bresse chicken I roasted the other week. The aroma and roasted color are distinctly different.

Interesting. Is it distinctively better enough to justify the relatively small size at the best time to process a cockerel?
In 2 months or so I will have the same breeds to process as well as a BCM, and a Bielefelder. Will have to have a big family chicken tasting dinner with scorecards or something. LOL, if enough of my loved ones are vaccinated by then. Regardless I will try to post a review of how these 4 dual purpose birds compare.

Interesting. Is it distinctively better enough to justify the relatively small size at the best time to process a cockerel?
In 2 months or so I will have the same breeds to process as well as a BCM, and a Bielefelder. Will have to have a big family chicken tasting dinner with scorecards or something. LOL, if enough of my loved ones are vaccinated by then. Regardless I will try to post a review of how these 4 dual purpose birds compare.
I ate the top breast half by myself, right after I roasted it for 3 hours. It goes good with Korean soju. This Baarbezieux chicken has a lot of umami, I can see why my french brothers love this chicken so much.

The umami of the Barbeziuex chicken went through the roof. I drank the whole bottle of CHUM CHURUM. My blood is boiling, I love this chicken!

Last edited:
I had to smoke a Barbezieux rooster today. He was 4 months old and weighted about 3.50 lbs. dressed.
DSCN0271.JPG

This is my last Barbezuiex rooster, he has a little grey lines on his neck and saddle. The one I just smoked was completely black. I will breed this one to my black Barbezuiex hens for some color diversity. This guy screams when I catch him, at least he doesn't bite. I will try to get him to 9 lbs.
DSCN0280.JPG

DSCN0272.JPG

Last edited:
I made an amazing discovery, I ate only the breast meat of the smoked Barbezuiex in the picture above and used the rest for a local favorite called Portuguese Bean soup. It was the best bean soup I have ever tasted. The smoked Barbezuiex replaces the smoke ham hock and chicken stock. I simmer the liquid until the Barbeziuex meat falls off the bone. The color of the cooked Barbezuiex meat is red, its unique in comparison to regular chicken meat color.

Last edited:
I made an amazing discovery, I ate only the breast meat of the smoked Barbezuiex in the picture above and used the rest for a local favorite called Portuguese Bean soup. It was the best bean soup I have ever tasted. The smoked Barbezuiex replaces the smoke ham hock and chicken stock. I simmer the liquid until the Barbeziuex meat falls off the bone. The color of the cooked Barbezuiex meat is red, its unique in comparison to regular chicken meat color.

now I have to have these chickens! but the big problem is they do not exist in greece:he

Hello to all that are raising Barbezieux.

This is an open discussion thread and is a work in progress for raising Barbezieux as meat birds.
Anyone is welcome to join in the discussion. I've only been raising chickens for a year so I'm a bit of a newb.

My plan is to eventually spiral breed also known as clan mating.
Hi Cody,
Do you still have some Barbezieux? I had some and would like to add to my farm. Predators got them. I got the predator. I bought my original from Greenfire.

CNJ,
Just got a smoker, did some smoked beef, but haven't done a chicken yet. Are you still on the thread and do you raise Barbizieux still? How do you smoke a chicken?

CNJ,
Just got a smoker, did some smoked beef, but haven't done a chicken yet. Are you still on the thread and do you raise Barbizieux still? How do you smoke a chicken?
I decided to give up on the Barbeziuex chickens, since I have limited space.

Instead, I bred a Cornish x hen to a Breese rooster and bred the chicks to each other after they matured. I kept two breeding roosters one had white legs and the other had steel blue legs. I bred the 12lbs white legged rooster to two white legged hens and the off springs had white leg and reached 5 to 6lbs dressed weight at 3 months old.

I haven't bred the steel blue legged rooster until recently. His eggs should hatch in about 5 days. I am hoping his off springs pull more on the egg laying Breese side, since my white legged line eat too much and are better meat birds than egg layers.

I am in the process of rotating my birds and will end up with 4 hens and two roosters. Right now my freezer is full of chickens and they eat to much. I will only breed them when I need more meat or better egg layers.

I use a hunter's brine I found on Field and Stream magazine a long time ago. 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup salt, garlic, black pepper, paprika and 1 gallon water, soaked over night.

I use the indirect method meaning the coals are spread to the side leaving the center empty. I pre soak hickory chips and put them on the coals as needed. I use a 3 inch strip of foil on the grill to deflect the heat off the side of the chicken, so it doesn't burn.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom