A Barbezieux Thread.

Pics
Obelix can fly up a couple of feet, but not more. He is significantly larger than my heritage breeds, e.g. here next to a mature Welsummer hen and a SFH roo (Barby hen behind).
View attachment 2415412
He is a very gentle soul, and does not bite, even when his claws are being clipped!
Thanks for the info, I hope I get some cool roosters like that.

My Barbeziuex chicks hatched today. I took 5 out of the incubator and helped one out of its shell. The membrane around the chick I helped was dry, so I mist it with water until it came loose. I left it in the incubator to fluff up, I hope it will straighten out.....................

DSCN0135.JPG

The Bresse chicks seem to grow faster than the Barbeziuex chicks. They are about 8 days younger than the bresse chicks. The Bresse chicks still terrorize the Barbeziuex chicks through out the day. I separate them at night. I hope they can get along. I think the two Bresse chicks are females, I feather sexed them when they were a few days old.

I recently made a soup with a white Rhode Island rooster, I tried putting in 3 cups of burgundy wine, one cup of red wine vinegar, with the basic celery, potato, onion, garlic, carrot, bay leaf, Italian season and salt. It had a unique Mediterranean flavor..............it's something worth trying.
DSCN0156.JPG
DSCN0152.JPG

Last edited:
We ended up roasting a 3.5# bird for the Thanksgiving table. Used this recipe with a few minor adjustments (no bacon, reduced brine due to size of bird, no roast carrot/potatoes underneath--just thinly slice onion to turn into gravy. The breast was nice and tender and the skin was sooo yellow and crispy! There was only one chewy bit on a portion of each drum, but overall the flavor was good.

PXL_20201025_155507415.jpg

PXL_20201127_033458131.jpg

I used the carcass today to make some soup. The leftovers were fairly picked clean and I only had the torso to work with, but I got 3.5qt of deeply fragrant, golden broth.

Huckleberry made for some good eating. Not as mind blowing as I was hoping for, but I learned a lot that should make for better birds next batch.

Hello, can anyone tell me what color is under part of the Barbeziuex's feet? I plan to breed a black Australorp and a black Jersey Giant hen to a Barbeziuex rooster. My Australorp's feet are pink and my giant's are yellow. But when they were chicks they were all the same color. It became more distinct when they matured.

@CNJ they look white when clean (not so easy to see in this wet and muddy weather!)
Thanks for checking. I was just going to post the color of my chicks feet. It looks like my Australorp feet, a little pinkish. Its good that they don't turn dark yellow when they grow up.

They don't fill in like the Bresse chickens. They have long legs and boney body frame. They look like birds and kind of high strung. I was able to train them by opening one end of the brooder and sticking both of my hands down on a little perch. Some of them will come into my hand to be taken out side to play. The others need a little tapping sound, but as they thin out, the ones left behind jump into my hands. They don't like to be the last one. Then in the evening, I lift my play pen slowly up all the way and guide them into a corner and then place a round screen around them. Its easier to catch them this way.

I miss placed my camera some where, its driving me nuts. It disappeared? I will post some pictures of my set up when I find my camera.

My Barbeziuex chicks scream and try their best to run away from my hand when I try to bring them in before night fall. In my opinion, they have the characteristics of a wild chicken.

In comparison, my Bresse chicks are easier to handle and easier to catch. They are also growing faster.

If I cross a black Barbeziuex to a white Bresse will I get some white bresse, black Barbezuiex and a cross speckle?

Back
Top Bottom