A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Are they walking up the base/legs of the hive or dropping down from trees or roofs?

If they're coming up from the bottom you might try some tangle foot on the legs or base.

Are they walking up the base/legs of the hive or dropping down from trees or roofs?

If they're coming up from the bottom you might try some tangle foot on the legs or base.

They come across the ground in droves and climb up the legs.
I think the ants have multiple nests all over the area. I haven't been able to locate them because they travel fast over large areas.
I've used ant bait with limited success.
It's strange because I've lived here for over 20 years and in the area all my life. The big black ants have just shown up in the last few years. Maybe about a year or two before I got bees.
The little ants have been a problem too but can't cross the moats like the big ones can.
The problem with the moats is they make the hive too humid, encouraging mold.

Quote:
That is hilarious! Sounds like a scene from a horror movie....giant ants will stop at nothing, destroy every living thing in their paths.....
ep.gif

@ChickenCanoe

Well...you are right! Look at this review from amazon:

We live on a serious anthill and the ants love my grapefruit tree. With Tanglefoot, I have eradicated the ants from my tree. I reapply about once a month. Keep an eye on it, because the ants will keep trying and eventually form a bridge so they can walk over their poor dead comrades. They are persistent little buggers. But Tanglefoot forms the perfect barrier and is safe for my tree and the other critters in the yard.

I am eager to get into beekeeping this year. I ordered today two Langstroth bee hives and I am due to receive them in March. I am planning on getting two 3LB bee boxes with a marked Queen. I am in Westchester, NY and from what I read it is better to get the bees locally, but my searches did not get me anywhere. Any suggestions where I could order them from? Also, does anybody know if there is any advantage of having a VSH Queen when it comes to Varroa mites infestation? Or what would be the benefit (if any) of having a VSH queen?

I am eager to get into beekeeping this year. I ordered today two Langstroth bee hives and I am due to receive them in March. I am planning on getting two 3LB bee boxes with a marked Queen. I am in Westchester, NY and from what I read it is better to get the bees locally, but my searches did not get me anywhere. Any suggestions where I could order them from? Also, does anybody know if there is any advantage of having a VSH Queen when it comes to Varroa mites infestation? Or what would be the benefit (if any) of having a VSH queen?
Package bees though sold local are 99% of the time shipped up from the south to a distributor in your area. Not local bees at all. It's more upfront but because your starting out I'd suggest a 5 frame nuc to get your hive started. The really have a big head start over a package and box with no comb drawn yet. You get them a month later than packages but still will outperform first year and being nucs are local bees.

If the cost is not high VSH strains are a good choice. Doing research of beekeepers/apiaries around you will yield the same result. Try to find a non migratory apriary as they are subjected to all the pests and diseases if transported to the large pollenating service areas like Maine blueberries and so on. Just like pest hitchhike on package bees from the south your large pollenation service is in contact with many other bees from all over the country. What one apiary has is shared to the others. This said, with yoru research you'll likely find a person who started with VSH bees or any number of things. Mike Palmer for example in northern corner of New York/Vermont has high hygenic bees. There was a knee jerk reaction where many went to russian bees for treatment free. I'd don't recommend those at all. Carni will swarm but easier to keep control of. Genetics are all mixed and not pure by any means but I'd vear from anyone promoting high russian mix in their stock. They are swarm ready 24/7 and will prove it many times over....

The thing with small cell is you need to commit to it and make a mental note your using it every time you buy more frames. When starting I wanted all small cell. Had to replace some hives and picked up nucs for it. Couldn't for the life of me figure out why they swarmed and were reluctant to draw comb above even slow with pulled few lower frames up to second box. Dawned on me months later. The nuc was standard cell and I was trying to get them to immediately draw on 4.9mm cell. It takes a transition size to move down in cell size. Couple open frames for them to make free cell which is small than standard then they quickly draw the small cell. Long story to simply say, keep in mind what size your using in the future. Going from small cell to standard is easy, they have little problem with it. Standard to small- forget about.

Back
Top Bottom