1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Beekissed, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

As requested, here is a bee thread for us newbies that want to discuss methods, pros and cons, getting started, etc.

Post on! [​IMG]

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I'm interested...i'll be watching this thread. [​IMG]

Anabariful and The Angry Hen like this.
  3. Partyfowl

Partyfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    OH,,,, Im in!!

I was just thinking today 'how do I start bees'?

The Angry Hen likes this.
  4. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    me too!

5. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    Dh mentioned getting bees for the farm. My ONLY concern is getting stung. Every time I get stung the reaction is worse. So I have the usual "getting stung" questions and concerns.

6. mylittlezoo

mylittlezoo Poppy Creek Farm

Mar 16, 2009
    GA
    I just borrowed a book from a friend called "The backyard beekeeper".... I'm trying to learn! Can anyone tell me how time consuming this is? I would LOVE some bees, but I kinda have a full plate right now. I'm sure I can fit them in though.... [​IMG]

7. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Quote:I kept bees years ago and I, too, worried about getting reactions to being stung. Then I did a stupid thing and opened a hive in very cold weather while wearing a bright blue jacket. The whole hive swarmed me. I had stings up and down my legs. The jacket protected my arms and chest, but afterward there were so many stingers stuck in it that I could scrape them off with a knife! I was sore for a couple of weeks. However, I never again had any reaction to being stung. I've read that once you have multiple stings at a time, your system builds an immunity and you are not bothered by the venom anymore. This did seem to be the case for me. Hopefully, it will be the same for you.

I haven't had a hive in about 15 years, but I am thinking about building some new equipment and starting up again. Thinking about it but not quite ready to commit the resources yet, so I'll be following along to see what new things I can learn here. I AM a trifle "rusty" after all. [​IMG]

Rusty

edited to add:
    Can anyone tell me how time consuming this is?

I had 3 hives and spent maybe 30 minutes a week for the routine stuff. Maybe twice a year I had supers to extract and then I probably spent an hour or 2. It was not time-consuming at all.​

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
    Anabariful, moni821 and tara2 like this.
  8. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    Build up immunity OR kill you. [​IMG]

Hey, like the ol' timers say, "If it doesn't kill ya, it'll make ya stronger, ayup."

9. Southern Bee Lady

Southern Bee Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Upstate SC
    I have been keeping bees for 6 years. I started out with 4 hives the first year.
    It is a little late in the year but a lot of bee clubs offer beginners classes in Jan-Mar.
    Try to find a local club and attend the meetings. You will find beekeepers are usually
    very helpful to newbees. Find a mentor if possible.
    Always remember 2 things: Ask 10 beekeepers a question and you will get 15 answers.[​IMG]
    (And all 15 answers may be right. What works for one person may not work for another.)
    Just when you think you know something about the bees they will show you that you do not.

Beekeeping is a constant learning process. That is one of the things I enjoy.
    If you learn the basics, that is the most important first step. A good book that our club and state
    uses for the beginner classes is "First Lessons in Beekeeping by Keith Delaplane" I also love
    "The Backyard Beekeeper by Kim Flottum" and "Beekeeping for Dummies".
    All should be available at Amazon.com.

Anabariful and sonomachic like this.
  10. sekinkead

sekinkead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    My dad kept bees for years and years and I remember helping out with the extracting and getting stung many times when I would get too close trying to watch. He would go and capture swarms as well and that was always exciting. I so wish my mom hadn't gotten rid of his beekeeping stuff after he died. Now I want to start with some bees as well.

Beekissed, how did you get started with them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by