A Bielefelder Thread !

Only one hatched...another cockerel. The other two failed to do anything. I checked in the eggs and they were both dead...actually blue...and one of them had a deformed foot.
hit.gif
I'm heading to one of the local feed stores in the morning to buy this little guy a companion. He's hardy, active...and very vocal. I won't be buying from this breeder again. I've had no luck with her Biel eggs. I spoke to another customer of hers who had similar results.

So sorry.
Who is she? because I'm think about getting eggs and wouldn't want to buy from her.

Here's my loan hatchling, Fritz and his new "harem" of week-old White Rocks. So far they all seem to be getting along well...no pecking...and they all snuggle in together quite nicely. (And they're remarkably quiet as a group.)

I'll message you.

Thanks MK
Here's my loan hatchling, Fritz and his new "harem" of week-old White Rocks. So far they all seem to be getting along well...no pecking...and they all snuggle in together quite nicely. (And they're remarkably quiet as a group.)

That is a funny way of putting it. LOL

I don't know about others but my Bielefelders are very calm birds.  Now sweet...depends what you mean by that.  Not aggressive towards other birds or people yes.   They follow you around the yard and seek human interaction...not mine.  The rooster will often let me go up to him and pet him a bit as he lowers his body and keeps trying to move forward out of reach.  So petting is tolerated but not enjoyed.  Occasionally he will just sit down on the ground and stay while you pet him.  When I pick him up he will usually just stay and let you hold him until he has had enough and then he squirms to be released.  The girls don't enjoy being touched as much.  They will all come if you have food.  If you want them to act more like pets feed them treats often.  Otherwise they are just very well behaved good mannered chickens.

It must be the birds and what they get used to. I have one Biel hen from my first hatch of them and I spent a rediculous amount of time with all the chicks of that clutch and if I sit down she will hop into my lap and nuzzle her face into my armpit and make purring noises, she like a little kitten not a chicken (ok not so little) I can pet and preen her to my hearts content, the other two hens are curious only. They hop up on occasion but aren't so happy to be petted. But all my Biels (6 in all ) are very gentle and quiet in nature, I love them, I've found if I adore them when they are young they are soooo much easier to work with,

Thanks! Hens have just started laying real well. I think I have more roosters this time around. I have been hatching pretty much all hens last year. A game hen I have went broody and hatched 9/10. The others were in the incubator.

Back
Top Bottom