A Bielefelder Thread !

Pics
Thanks TNBEARCHICK! I'll follow that pattern. Since we have them in the house they will only get down to about 70 degrees at the end... would taking them outside at that point be a shock since it's 50/20 degrees out there? Or will the 75 watt bulb be enough to offset the difference in temps?

Thanks again! :)

as long as they are feathered out with the 75 watt light bulb for heat, assuming no drafts I would think you would be fine. Just keep an eye on them they will let you know if they are cold or hot .

I would actually keep any chicks inside for a while this time of year until they are big and fat. That's what I am doing with my chicks. Once they are really too big (bumping into each other is a good sign), I will move them to the garage and let them get adjusted to the cold. I would caution about using the light bulb. It will make them dependent upon it. If you get a big snow storm and the power goes out, then what? It is less of a shock to their system if they are allowed to adjust to the season without the use of artificial heat.

My grandparents raised chickens in the mountains of Wyoming in the early 1900s when no one in Wyoming had electricity. And Wyoming is known for subzero weather. So your chickens will do fine without heat. They just need to be fattened up and fully feathered and then gradually introduced into the cold.

I might also recommend a teddy bear for them to snuggle up to at night. Just make sure it is the pet friendly (think dog toy) kind so that they don't peck it apart.

Where are you in Alabama?
I am not too far from you - Birmingham

Good to see you, welcome.

Ok I think our Bieledelders get better looking everyday. They are gorgeous. Has anyone ate a rooster yet, not that I have a spare yet but next year I am sure I will.. for now we have 2 cockerels and 3 pullets.

I have two 3 day old pullets and I have to say that they are lively! I am looking forward to watching them grow.

That makes sense. We do have plenty of garage/basement area that we can transition them to when they get bigger. My boys will love the teddy bear idea! :)

On another note... we've been holding them every day and trying to get them used to us, but they still shake (my youngest son thought it was purring like a cat) and really don't seem to enjoy our interaction. We've even left our hands in their box for periods of time throughout the day and they still get spooked anytime we reach in to change their water. Are Bielefelders known to be a little antisocial with humans or are they just taking a while to get used to us? When I was raising chickens with my grandma, way back, it seemed like chickens got used to being held a lot sooner... but maybe that's just nostalgic memories.

Thanks everyone for your input! :)

Back
Top Bottom