A Bielefelder Thread !

Quote:
If your Bielefelder isn't laying at 8 months, that means she's a Bielefelder, not crossed with suspected Brown Leghorn, displaying white earlobes. The "Bielefelder crosses" tend to start laying at 6 months, while it is normal for true Bielefelders to start laying passed 8 months. Although a bit slower to start, they sure do make up for it with their Extra Large to Jumbo eggs.

Last edited:
Quote:
Great question! Roosters generally mature faster than hens. Average breed of the 350+ breeds, roosters mature at 3 months, hens mature at 6 months. As far as these "uber huhns," I notice roos mature 3-6 months and aren't their full weight until 8+ months, hens mature around 8+ months and may not hit their final weight until 10-12 months. These are all averages. Obviously give or take.

Last edited:
Quote:
Great question! Roosters generally mature faster than hens. Average breed of the 350+ breeds, roosters are mature at 3 months, hens mature at 6 months. As far as these "uber huhns," I notice roos mature 3-6 months and aren't their full weight until 8+ months, hens mature around 8+ months and may not hit their final weight until 10-12 months. These are all averages. Obviously give or take.
Big time thanks. The roosters are taking their librerties with the other hens. The Bielfelder hens have nothing to do with them.

Honora - congrats. I guess I have to wait until April. My BF's are bigger than the other egg layers but only 6 months old.

Post a pic of the egg - was it small or large?

Honora - congrats. I guess I have to wait until April. My BF's are bigger than the other egg layers but only 6 months old.

Post a pic of the egg - was it small or large?

Here is Ida's first egg (on top) next to a store-bought size XL egg. Pretty big for a first egg!

Here's another pic of Ida, she hatched June 1st of last year so she is 8.5 months old:

Here is Ida's first egg (on top) next to a store-bought size XL egg. Pretty big for a first egg!

Here's another pic of Ida, she hatched June 1st of last year so she is 8.5 months old:

Very nice size pullet egg! Mine are usually much smaller but they do catch up in size. Good job, Ida!!!

Back
Top Bottom