A Bielefelder Thread !

Bimmber

That’s a great question that unfortunately I do not have the answer for. I do not have a scale. I do understand that size is based off of weight. When compared to store eggs they are size of Lg eggs. Some are slightly bigger and some are slightly smaller. I have 5 8 month old pullets. Of which 4 are laying about an egg per day with no supplemental light. My first to lay started at 6 months and slowly the other have started to lay.

I am planning on adding SFH and CCL this Spring. I will definitely have a scale by then so I can compare the breed’s egg sizes.

For me my Biels are ideal. I wanted a breed that was large in size and produced a large egg. I tend to stay away from the “popular” breeds that might out produce but have limited lifespans or have temperament issues.

Bimmber

That’s a great question that unfortunately I do not have the answer for. I do not have a scale. I do understand that size is based off of weight. When compared to store eggs they are size of Lg eggs. Some are slightly bigger and some are slightly smaller. I have 5 8 month old pullets. Of which 4 are laying about an egg per day with no supplemental light. My first to lay started at 6 months and slowly the other have started to lay.

I am planning on adding SFH and CCL this Spring. I will definitely have a scale by then so I can compare the breed’s egg sizes.

For me my Biels are ideal. I wanted a breed that was large in size and produced a large egg. I tend to stay away from the “popular” breeds that might out produce but have limited lifespans or have temperament issues.
I like your plans. I have the SFH (2 roosters) and CCL (1 roo and 2 pullets) but no BEL yet. I have a breeder nearby that I can pick some up from when the time is right for us. I'm excited to get to meet them (and SFH pullets).

The breeder I got my Biels from has SFH , Marans , Isbar , CCL , Biels and a few others

I hope the CCL and SFH will pair well with my Roos (Biel and CCO)

upload_2019-1-19_7-47-54.jpeg

My Biel pullet egg on the right compare to store Large eggs on the left.

Ok I will chime in there is a difference between Auto-sexing and Sex-linked..... auto sexing is a breed that when kept pure you can tell the difference between male and female chicks at hatch(and life ) because they are different colors. Sex-linked are chicks that hybrids coming from 2 separate breeds crossed to create chicks that are different colors for males and females at hatch... or in the case of barring a white spot on the males head. My understanding is that the auto-sexing carries forward to the next generation provided that you select for your breeders ones that were easily sexable at hatch... the sex-links next generation you lose the sexing ability.
Bielefelders are auto sexing as are the Cream legbars

@ Rolltide - "
Sorry.
Here's one of my pullets with the white ears...
I looked closer, one pullet does not have the white. But I don't feel like I can trust the line. I also kept a cockerel from this bunch, he'll have to go as well, I guess.
"
Too bad I live a couple of states away here in Tennessee, I'd gladly take those two off your hands, since I'm not looking for showbirds, just production birds for the family - meat and eggs. I've seen some really nice-looking birds in this thread, makes me want to get some, but so far, nada. McMurray told me they are sold out until August, and won't even take an order. I guess we'll have to wait a couple of years until the demand dies down and the prices come down to earth ;>).

Back
Top Bottom