A Bielefelder Thread !

we would really need people who live in other states that could be a part of the initial process and start a state chapter so that would be great if your interested.

I'd want to spend some time discussing the requirements with you. My husband and I own a business plus my chicken..."hobby"...so my time is spread pretty thin. I don't want to make promises I can't keep.
roll.png

I've experienced the same thing. Mine were very hearty eaters until about a month ago when they reached the age of 12-14 weeks. Now they seem to prefer to forage more and have even left some of the fermented feed in their food dish in favor of grass/greens and insects.

Mine act like I starve them, there is always food in the feeder, but if i have something in my hand, they think its more food and start flying and jumping around while making all kinds of little noises. I did lots of web searching today and think I will start a dubia roach colony and they can eat those as snacks

We have ... chick, singular.

I put eleven eggs under hens, and was hoping for a bit better, but all the air sacs were bad. Five developed, but of those five, only one hatched. A male.

Ah well, we'll wait until fall when it cools off, and then order a few pullets for him from someone. We had two broodies, but one is nothing but feathers and attitude (hasn't been eating enough) and the other will be given the chick to raise, so no more broodies to hatch shipped eggs with.

(I have a large cabinet 'bator but I don't want to fire it up for just a handful of eggs.)

-- Leva

We have ... chick, singular.

I put eleven eggs under hens, and was hoping for a bit better, but all the air sacs were bad. Five developed, but of those five, only one hatched. A male.

Ah well, we'll wait until fall when it cools off, and then order a few pullets for him from someone. We had two broodies, but one is nothing but feathers and attitude (hasn't been eating enough) and the other will be given the chick to raise, so no more broodies to hatch shipped eggs with.

(I have a large cabinet 'bator but I don't want to fire it up for just a handful of eggs.)

-- Leva

I'm sorry your results were so poor...but rather thrilled to hear that Biels go broody.

I've heard bieles go broody too, though I'm a little wary of their size in respect to hatching eggs. I tend to prefer medium to small standard breeds for hatching as larger hens can sometimes break eggs. The two broodies I have now are hatchery "orpingtons" and are, at a good weight, around 3-4 pounds.

Hatching shipped eggs is always a gamble. I wish I'd gotten at least one more so I could give the other broody a chick too.

When I bred treeing walker coonhounds I started the coffee county hounds man association and have been seriously considering starting a club for the Bielefelders. We would really need a dedicated core group to get things off the ground. Who would be interested in joining??

Count me in.....

Back
Top Bottom