A Bielefelder Thread !

Bielefelder or the Kräher?
LOL, Guess I should not put such a vague question right after a nice conversation about the Kräher. The Bielefelder as I would like some in the spring as it is way too cold for any right now. Now I need to do research about the Kräher.

LOL, Guess I should not put such a vague question right after a nice conversation about the Kräher. The Bielefelder as I would like some in the spring as it is way too cold for any right now. Now I need to do research about the Kräher.
Just saw a good deal on Bielefelders, rare breed auction.

I was curious & just watched a "Cosova Long Crowing rooster" video. Funny but he wouldn't do well in my neighborhood.
The Indonesian laughing roosters, however, just make me smile.

Are there any Bielelfelder breeders out here in the west that have hatching eggs?

I know of one woman here in AZ whom I would trust to supply quality hatching eggs, but I'm not sure if she's offering any right now or not. Here's the link to her website: http://www.fancyranchchicks.com/welcome.html

There is another breed in the Phoenix area, but I would strongly recommend staying away from her. Not only did her eggs result in exceptionally low hatching rates....and I actually drove up to her place to buy them rather than trusting the mail delivery....but one of the chicks hatched with pullorum.

I wish I could help you out, but my girls simply don't want to lay eggs, so if I decide to stick with this breed I'll be ordering some chicks directly from GFF to raise for breeding purposes.

Quote:
On another note.

A few months ago we were discussing fertility/mating among our flocks. It's not good at all with my birds.
I don't know whether it's the cockerels or the hens. I set 80 eggs over a few weeks time and hatched only 16 chicks.
I think there was maybe one or two quitters and the rest weren't fertile or never started.

Chickielady had this problem and when she trimmed the fluff she got better fertility.

On another note.

A few months ago we were discussing fertility/mating among our flocks. It's not good at all with my birds.
I don't know whether it's the cockerels or the hens. I set 80 eggs over a few weeks time and hatched only 16 chicks.
I think there was maybe one or two quitters and the rest weren't fertile or never started.
Quote:

Chickielady had this problem and when she trimmed the fluff she got better fertility.

I agree. I had low fertility with my English Orps. (Too much cushion!) After some trimming some butt fluff from the roo & hens, the problem was resolved.)

Quote:

Oh yea! I forgot about this. Thank you for reminding me.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom