A Bielefelder Thread !

Could they be shipped to NC? PM me okay?
Hi there...

These are already sold about 20 minutes ago. Actually someone about an hour away saw the post my husband put on Facebook and within minutes they were spoken for. I can not imagine how expensive it would be to ship these birds. Each of them weighed about 7 to 8 lbs :)

These Biele girls were pretty quiet, but the rooster was pretty noisy. Not a problem for us, we are out in the boonies. Only a few of my other hens make egg laying announcements but not too noisy.

Last edited:
I know what you mean about the noise after laying. Some make quite a racket for a while after...like my chocolate Orpington, you'd think she layed a golden egg or something! Then there's my RIR's and Australorp, lay an egg, not a peep! The SLW's and GLW make noise sometimes, sometimes no sound. My Aracauna makes all the noise like she layed and egg and...nothing! Chickens are funny!

Hi there...

These are already sold about 20 minutes ago. Actually someone about an hour away saw the post my husband put on Facebook and within minutes they were spoken for. I can not imagine how expensive it would be to ship these birds. Each of them weighed about 7 to 8 lbs a piece.

Well good for you (bad for me, LOL)! You are right, someone local got a GREAT flock!!!!

Hi there...

These are already sold about 20 minutes ago. Actually someone about an hour away saw the post my husband put on Facebook and within minutes they were spoken for.  I can not imagine how expensive it would be to ship these birds. Each of them weighed about 7 to 8 lbs :)

These Biele girls were pretty quiet, but the rooster was pretty noisy. Not a problem for us, we are out in the boonies.  Only a few of my other hens make egg laying announcements but not too noisy.

If you don't mind can I ask how much you sold them for?

I know what you mean about the noise after laying. Some make quite a racket for a while after...like my chocolate Orpington, you'd think she layed a golden egg or something! Then there's my RIR's and Australorp, lay an egg, not a peep! The SLW's and GLW make noise sometimes, sometimes no sound. My Aracauna makes all the noise like she layed and egg and...nothing! Chickens are funny!

I made a wonderful cross only hen. She laid super extras large egg of the chicken I ever seen. Unfortunately, she end up in the pot after 2 years. Her meat taste tender like 5 months old chicken. She still have plenty of laying egg left, but the noise she make which couldn't justify.

This week I set 3 eggs, 3 made it to lock down and all three hatched! I got 2 girls and one boy this time around.

Like @Candy442 , we are not seeing the benefits of the Bielefelders. We went to TSC and bought some chicks for future egg production. All they had were Buff Orps and Barred Rocks in the straight run bins. Well, these BRs ar e not BRs. No head spots at all. They are either Jersey Giants or Australorps. I am hoping Australorps otherwise I'm in the same situation with the Bielefelders if these are Giants. Forever to mature/lay and eat a lot of food.

Like @Candy442 , we are not seeing the benefits of the Bielefelders. We went to TSC and bought some chicks for future egg production. All they had were Buff Orps and Barred Rocks in the straight run bins. Well, these BRs ar e not BRs. No head spots at all. They are either Jersey Giants or Australorps. I am hoping Australorps otherwise I'm in the same situation with the Bielefelders if these are Giants. Forever to mature/lay and eat a lot of food.

Sounds like when I get my 6 Biels in September I better get 6 Production Red or some other prolific layers!

Once the Biele hens started laying, they did consistently though. Nice eggs, 2 to 3 a day out of 5 hens isn't bad, but waited about 34 weeks for them. The food versus egg cost was my primary reason. Loved them very much!

Last edited:
Once the Biele hens started laying, they did consistently though. Nice eggs, 2 to 3 a day out of 5 hens isn't bad, but waited about 34 weeks for them. The food versus egg cost was my primary reason. Loved them very much!

I don't mind feeding them as long as they are producing. I wasn't thrilled with 2-9 eggs from my 11-15 Ameraucanas when I had them (for the record, 2-5 was the norm). I have 3 girls, waited 30wks... or 32? ... for eggs and I'm getting 5-11 a week. I don't expect 27 a week, but 15-20 would be perfect. Mine are also flighty with one cockerel with a bit of a temperament issue. I haven't had them a year yet, so I'm not giving up on them, but I'm not thrilled. They don't live up to their hype so far. They are pretty... that's about it.

Hatched some Bielefelders and some Bielefelders over Golden Sex links. It's amazing to see the difference in color on the biele/sex link cross. I am guessing all the light colored chicks will be males and the reddish colored with stripes will be females.

Back
Top Bottom