A Bielefelder Thread !

I don't mind worrying unnecessarily. 9x out of 10 it turns out nothing but the 1x out of 10 problem makes the worrying and watching worth it. If a hen doesn't improve in a couple hours I take them into the kitchen to watch them. I have a Silkie that has respiratory issues and if she's not acting spunky I immediately go into "watch" mode. If I didn't worry, I'd have a dead chicken by now. Glad your girl showed improvement!

I feel pretty lucky that this time it turned out to be nothing much to worry about. She wound up laying the biggest eggs she's ever laid...2.22 ounces vs her usual 1.87 ounce egg. I think she may have just been overwhelmed by the size trying to exit her bum. Since laying she's been playing quite merrily in the water I allow to run out from the hose to give them a small "stream" to play in.

I feel pretty lucky that this time it turned out to be nothing much to worry about. She wound up laying the biggest eggs she's ever laid...2.22 ounces vs her usual 1.87 ounce egg. I think she may have just been overwhelmed by the size trying to exit her bum. Since laying she's been playing quite merrily in the water I allow to run out from the hose to give them a small "stream" to play in.
That would have depressed me too!
idunno.gif

Well, my luck for this hatch didn't hold true, out of 8 lockdown eggs I got 1 boy and 1 girl, One pipped at the wron end of the egg and died, none of the rest pipped at all. Oh well, I'll take what I can get.

Good for you (and her)!!!!

Updating photos on my possible Bielefelder hybrids. The second and third chicks are either Cream Legbar/Ameraucana hybrids or Bielefelder/Ameraucana hybrids. They are doing very very well! The middle chick is much friendlier than the other two. All are 4.5 weeks now.

Updating photos on my possible Bielefelder hybrids. The second and third chicks are either Cream Legbar/Ameraucana hybrids or Bielefelder/Ameraucana hybrids. They are doing very very well! The middle chick is much friendlier than the other two. All are 4.5 weeks now.

While by no means an expert, I would say that given the conformation (form/color) and the temperament as stated, the middle chick surely looks like a Biels cross to me! The hackle feathers, the general coloration, and the friendliness to me says Biels in the background!!!!

Here is another view. Comparing her to photos of bielefelder pullets, she looks very much like one.... except for the blue tinge to her stomach and the blue legs. I've named her Bluet. :) The other two are Thalia and Twinleaf.... most of my chickens have wildflower names.

Here is another view. Comparing her to photos of bielefelder pullets, she looks very much like one.... except for the blue tinge to her stomach and the blue legs. I've named her Bluet. :) The other two are Thalia and Twinleaf.... most of my chickens have wildflower names.

YOUR BABIES DON'T SEEM CAMERA-SHY. MY SILKIE KEPT RUNNING FROM ME TODAY WHILE I TRIED TO TAKE A PICTURE OF THE FUNNY COBWEBS AND STRAW IN HER "HAIR" -- WE BRIBED HER WITH TREATS TO GET HER TO COME:

I realize this is likely more appropriate for the ISO section but I thought I would have more success here. I just lost my second Biel cockerel (at 21 weeks) and now I have five pullets and a defunct breeding program. I'm wondering if anyone out there has surplus males around 20 weeks they are looking to part with. I realize no one wants to ship older birds, so I would be willing to make a reasonable drive (I live in West Texas). If you think you may be interested, send me a PM. Any help appreciated

I hatched some Bielefelder eggs for a friend, kept a girl. Pretty sure it's a girl. :) Just over a week.

Back
Top Bottom