A Bielefelder Thread !

This made me run out and check my girls's ear lobes, they're red! Haha. One might have a touch of pearl to it making it just ever so pink, but if so it's not much at all. I will watch to see how their daughters turn out. I'm pretty happy overall with what I see. I think they fit to SOP pretty well. I'm really loving how they are looking after this long winter molt they went through. I will have to get some pictures up soon.

When do sickle feathers come in on Bielefelder roosters?

Mine had visible sickle feathers around four months of age, but they didn't start to look really long until much, much later...I'd say at least 8 months of age.

The sickle feathers are the long sickle-shaped tail feathers found on cockerels/roosters.

Mine had visible sickle feathers around four months of age, but they didn't start to look really long until much, much later...I'd say at least 8 months of age.

The sickle feathers are the long sickle-shaped tail feathers found on cockerels/roosters.
So happy to hear that!

All three of my hens from GFF 2016 have white ear lobs
1f632.png
! They are only just starting to lay at 6 months and the eggs are cream colored and smallish.

You're not alone; however, mine do lay the darker brown egg and have been large, med, and extra large for their first several weeks so far. I thought I had just one with white earlobes, but I'm seeing another hen that has possibly pinkish lobes - not sure if they're going to turn white, or what.

I noticed that the comb on my definitely white-earlobed chicken seems to be taller and extend back further than my other hens.

Not sure what to do as I have 3 hens of laying age or very soon to be, 1 rooster the same age, and then a whole other flock of 1 rooster and 12 hens that are all not quite 2 months younger the the fore mentioned. All of the younger ones came from Skywalker of eBay, and probably the other ones too. I bought a lot from him, because his chickens looked good, alleged 2 different bloodlines, and the hatch rates were decent.

Back
Top Bottom