A Bielefelder Thread !

I've attached a picture of one of my Biel eggs and one of my Silver Lace Orp. The one on the left is the Biel.

Yup, that's about the color I get, maybe just a tad darker upon ocassion. Most of my girls lay a longer (I call them torpedo-type) egg but they do look very similar to yours. I love the color and the shine!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/568022023401911/
I have started a Facebook group Bielefelder Chickens Standard Bred with a goal of helping people figure out how to breed their birds to the German Standard of Perfection. It will take a while to get everything in place but the plan is to post pictures of good birds and bad birds so you can compare them to the SOP. So many of us are visual learners and it is hard to picture what the standard is saying. My hope is that breeding Bielefelders with visual aids will make it easier for everyone to breed better birds. Feel free to take a look and join if you would like.

All three of my hens from GFF 2016 have white ear lobs
1f632.png
! They are only just starting to lay at 6 months and the eggs are cream colored and smallish.

The original Greenfire import are pretty good birds. The 2013 import are fraught with problems. Poor body type, egg color is to light, white ear lobes and so on. They mixed both the 2011 and 2013 flocks so all their Bielefelder are not pure now and they cannot reverse that. They would have to scrap the whole mess and import more to straighten it out. The only way to get pure Bielefelder now are to find people that have the first import only.

My Bielfelder pullets are becoming hens. First eggs

We have 4 hens in with our beer roo. We are getting a couple a day. Will hatch and selectively breed. I have pics in this forum thread

I've read most of this thread now and have convinced myself that I want to start with this breed. Where would you guys suggest I get eggs/chicks/birds? I would like to get as close to the SOP even though I don't show. I would like eggs and meat. I'm in Wisconsin if that makes a difference. Thanks for the advice!

I've read most of this thread now and have convinced myself that I want to start with this breed. Where would you guys suggest I get eggs/chicks/birds? I would like to get as close to the SOP even though I don't show. I would like eggs and meat. I'm in Wisconsin if that makes a difference. Thanks for the advice!
Great! Biels should be very happy in Wisconsin!!!!! You will not be disappointed with their beauty or their personalities. I wish we were closer as I have some of the older lines that I'm been working with and I hatched some really beautiful chicks from them last year. I'll try to get some photos of my main flock as well as this year's chicks - not perfect but to me they look pretty traditional in all but color (some of my hens are a bit light for my tastes).

I have read a good bit of this thread and skipped to the last ten pages or so. I trying to learn more about this breed as I had decided this would be my main focus breed ( not necessarily to show but I wouldn't totally discount it). I have a starter flock coming to me around the first week of April.Now I am concerned after reading the last few pages. Can anyone recommend the best place to get Bielefelders?

Back
Top Bottom