A Bielefelder Thread !

Hey another question...
How many of you harvest these birds for meat? I've read that some people don't like the taste of these birds. And then I've read how there is so much fat that the meat is tender, juicy, and buttery tasting - that sounds wonderful to me...
Are chickens like other livestock where you get out what you put in? Like grass fed beef or grain fed hogs...ect? Is there something you feed meat birds to make them more appetizing?

I didn't get my Biels with the intention of using them for meat, but since I hatched mostly cockerels, I wound up eating most of them. They do have an excessive amount of fat. I removed most of that excess fat and put it in the freezer to render down for later uses. The meat itself was very succulent and juicy because even with the excess fat removed, there was still plenty left on the carcass to keep the meat moist. I found that a dry spice rub and slow roasting resulted in an incredibly juicy and flavorful bird.

Hey another question...
How many of you harvest these birds for meat? I've read that some people don't like the taste of these birds. And then I've read how there is so much fat that the meat is tender, juicy, and buttery tasting - that sounds wonderful to me...
Are chickens like other livestock where you get out what you put in? Like grass fed beef or grain fed hogs...ect? Is there something you feed meat birds to make them more appetizing?

I have eaten a lot of Biel roos. Age is your 1st factor. Age will determine your cooking options. You don't want to fry an old bird. ( You can after soaking 5 to 7 days in fridge) A chicken around 6 months old or younger, you can cook however you want. I've enjoyed the taste of my Biel roos. I can't tell the difference in flavor between grain fed and free range birds. This reply is just my 2 cents.

I have eaten a lot of Biel roos. Age is your 1st factor. Age will determine your cooking options. You don't want to fry an old bird. ( You can after soaking 5 to 7 days in fridge) A chicken around 6 months old or younger, you can cook however you want. I've enjoyed the taste of my Biel roos. I can't tell the difference in flavor between grain fed and free range birds. This reply is just my 2 cents.
Excellent! Thanks for the advice.

Not Biele related, but
Happy Easter!

DD took her little silkie on a field trip to the town Easter egg hunt today.
The line to see DD's silkie was just about as long as the line to see the Easter bunny. LOL

Here she is with the silkie in her little pet purse.

Unfortunately I sold my Bielefelder pullet but this thread is so interesting I am still coming on here, lol. Great pics!
x2 but I still have 1 biele hen.

Great people & I enjoy the sharing of recipes, egg production stories, regional climate conditions, & diff customs.
I also really love my fav & only Biele hen, so although I'm not breeding them, it's nice to hear about others who do.

This is one of my Biele hens with her week old chicks 5 are hers and 5 are cream legbars that hatched the same day in the incubator I just stuffed them under her she never knew the difference I like to watch her fussing over them
That's really cool. I didn't know bieles would go broody. I'm sure a hen that size could cover many chicks!

Not Biele related, but
Happy Easter!

DD took her little silkie on a field trip to the town Easter egg hunt today.
The line to see DD's silkie was just about as long as the line to see the Easter bunny. LOL

Here she is with the silkie in her little pet purse.

Maybe it was DD who was the main attraction! Pretty girl!

Here's our Black Silkie with a visitor who was scared to death of chickens before!

Back
Top Bottom