a big thank you to all the knowledgeable and inventive people here at BYC!

nminusyplusm

Crowing
Mar 29, 2017
Deming, NM
I've been lurking and learning from you all and today my chicks arrived! I ordered them from mypetchicken.com but they came from meyer hatchery. I got one blue Ameraucana, one blue Favaucana, 2 blue EEs, one snowy EE and 2 partridge Olive Eggers. They shipped on monday so it took 2 days from Ohio to New Mexico and everybody looks healthy and happy.

They're lively and quickly learned how to use the poultry nipples on the waterer. They didn't have much interest in the GroGel but they're loving their organic starter. And I made a mama heat pad which they seem to love. They are alternating between taking naps in it and then running for the food and water, exploring and occasionally napping in the sunlight. They are so much quieter than the chicks I've seen at tractor supply. The mama heat pad is genius! Only once did I hear distress peeping when one got pushed out the back. I adjusted it and now everyone's happy.

I'm amazed at how friendly they are too. I put the brooder (2'x7') on the floor and the sides are 18" high so they can see most of me when I approach and there's plenty of room so they don't see a giant hand swooping in like a predator. When I put my hand in (somewhat cupped horizontally) they snuggle underneath and poke their heads out between my fingers as if my hand was mama. So darn cute!

The coop is almost done. It's a riff on the carolina coops/wichita cabin coop and run. The run is 10x8 and the coop will be 4x7, I'm using the deep litter method in both the run and coop and there will be storage for feed at the south end (I'm in the desert so it will help shield them from the heat).

Here's what's going on so far:

Thank you all again for your help!

Wow. A good looking pen for....7? babies?

Now comes the interesting parts...Watching the changes, almost daily.
And sharing those changes with your friends here. Pictures help,,,(becasue
we're easily distracted)

Greetings from Kansas and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our flock! That's a very nice coop - happy you are enjoying your flock!
Here's some links that may assist you:
The Learning Center is a large archive of chicken related articles that will give you tons of tips and tricks to help you raise a healthy & happy flock:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

You can chat with fellow NM poultry folk in your state thread here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

Best of luck and thanks for joining BYC!
yippiechickie.gif

G’Day from down under nminusyplusm
frow.gif
Welcome!

Tee hee, I love your avatar … you breed um big in New Mexico! Your littlies are adorable and that is a great looking run.

I like to refer to them as having chickenalities and yes, they are all different.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share more pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Last edited:
Hello, and welcome to BYC -- it looks like you are off to fantastic start! Love your MHP cave and elevated feed/water station, well done! What a fabulous home you are building for your new flock - lucky birds indeed!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom