A Bird's Oasis

The Angry Hen

Crossing the Road
6 Years
Dec 17, 2016
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Nature has an incredible impact in our lives. Everything around us- including ourselves- are a piece of nature! Though many wonderful people try to preserve this amazing aspect of life... a lot of the world is taking it for granted.
For it is when we rule out nature- that the next generation of our universe is in trouble. We must do our best, even by the smallest thing, to help rebuild the future.

I love photography. I love birds... both of these things are a very big part of my life. By feeding the birds that visit my property, I can both feel good helping them and I can enjoy taking pictures.
I like to study the migration patterns of different species. When I see an Eastern Phoebe prepare for a third brood... I tend to think the winter will be rough, or, something's happening where they migrate that we don't know about.
Whether it is fracking or depositing nuclear waste- there is a lot changing our world today.

How many of you enjoy feeding the birds? Maybe putting oranges out form the Oriole? Or sunflower seeds for Chickadees and Nuthatches? What set up do you have for your property guests? Share away!

My parents thought I was silly- setting up random pieces of wood and rocks in the middle of mud season. In Spring, I raked sunflower seeds into the dirt, along with a few annual flower seeds such as Bachelor Buttons and Carpet of Snow.
We always fed the birds... but this was my way of participating in a small, safe spot of land for nature. Then I had more songbirds than I've ever seen in my life, all visiting the yard! Buntings, Tanagers, Vireos, Orioles, Yellowthroats, Redstarts, Warblers of all different kinds... it was my best birding year, yet.

DSCN8771.JPG

DSCN9160.JPG

From left: Indigo Bunting, Red Winged Blackbird, White Breasted Nuthatch, Chipping Sparrow, Rose Breasted Grosbeak, Gold Finch.
bunting.JPG DSCN8778.JPG DSCN8792.JPG DSCN8877.JPG DSCN8802.JPG DSCN8781.JPG
Now I've decided to advance the feeding station. I'll be moving it over a little bit, making a rock-lined dirt circle with flowers, shrubs, a feeder, and a bird bath. This is just the beginning! No costs! All nature!

DSCN9161.JPG

I created this thread in hopes to find like-minded people... and to see the wonderful creations they come up with.

I think that is very kind.
I love watching the birds but have cats so I do not actively feed/lure the wild birds. I used to put out hummingbird feeders and would get them by the hundreds (the thought being that they were fast enough to evade the cats) but a pair of Orioles came around and would drink from the feeder (had never seen them before) and sadly one was killed. I haven't put out the hummingbird feeders since. A few hummingbirds come through and enjoy the garden flowers, or at least what's left after the chickens (aka destroyer of worlds).
The woodpeckers on the other hand are total punks and tease the chickens. That is the most entertaining spectacle ever!

@Coloradopo-ta-toe thank you for commenting! I can understand that it is tricky for you to feed your birds when having the cats carefully watching their every move. I do not have cats- but struggle with the visiting foxes and hawks. There's always someone to worry about! I'm sorry to hear about the Oriole incident.

I too enjoy Hummingbirds. They're beautiful, and indeed, very fast! That is a plus when it comes to having predators of nature. What kind of Hummingbirds do you have visit? The Ruby Throated are the only ones I've seen, so far.

That is too funny! Woodpeckers have quite the personality and can be rather mischievous. They try to hide behind a branch or the feeder, when you walk by, but peek around the corner and it gives them away!

Enjoyed your post and the great photos. You have pictures of some of my favorite birds!

My feeding station isn't natural at all. It's a swing set, found on the curb, and I hang feeders from the hooks that used to hold swings. There's a bird bath underneath, and the whole thing is next to some mature lilac bushes and a small wildflower patch.

It's on the opposite side of the property from the poultry and a fence divides the two, so I don't have the wild birds (except sparrows!) messing with my birds' food.

@Callender Girl thank you very much! That's great! They are a couple of my favorites, too. I love the Rose Breasted Grosbeak, and, the Nuthatch is magnificent.

That's a very good way of transforming something- turning it into a little spot that the birds appreciate greatly. Our property is right next to the old railroad tracks and it used to be an ice company. I love to get pieces of metal, like small oven doors, carriage wheels, etc, from years gone by. I place them by the feeder and the birds love to figure them out!

That's a smart idea! Yes... Sparrows are very smart, sneaky little birds! They get their beaks into everything and they love to sit by the window, making the dogs bark all day!

I used to throw out old bread for the sparrows- until they grew into huge populations.
They sit on the window sill and look into the kitchen window expecting me to bring them more.

What they managed to miss, undesirable predators would gobble up. Had to put a stop to feeding since I know it will lure things into wintering in my garage.

@Coloradopo-ta-toe What kind of Hummingbirds do you have visit? The Ruby Throated are the only ones I've seen, so far.

I'm going to assume they're the ruby throated but I'm not sure... perhaps you might know? I live in the southwest corner of Colorado, small "town" of Hesperus, about 7,500 ft elevation.
I enjoyed your pictures. I've never seen a "white breasted nuthatch" nor heard of one. What a pretty bird!
We have hawks, eagles, owls, vultures, turkeys, swallows, jays (of the blue & black variety), woodpeckers, chickadees, some kind of small fat finch-ish bird, and drones of magpies and crows. Forgive me as I'm rather wild bird illiterate. They are great to watch either way though!

I had to stop feeding birds, because it was drawing rats. I do still put out a hummingbird feeder, and have a couple of birdbaths. The brown towees and the sparrows have figured out how to get to the chicken feed during the day, of course. We have lots of mourning doves, crows, jays, woodpeckers and mockingbirds that hang out in the area, without being directly fed. Once, I had a pair of orioles come and play in the sprinkler. I put out oranges the next day, but they never came back.

I used to throw out old bread for the sparrows- until they grew into huge populations.
They sit on the window sill and look into the kitchen window expecting me to bring them more.

What they managed to miss, undesirable predators would gobble up. Had to put a stop to feeding since I know it will lure things into wintering in my garage.

Haha! Sparrows very much like to invite their kin to the party of mission 'Ask person for bread'. :lol: I have a Song Sparrow that loves to search around the yard. I named him Mr. Poppy-seed. He is a mischief, though. Whenever I go birding for other, unusual birds, he moves the branches and hops around to mislead me!

I've had bad experiences in the past with foxes- so for now on, they aren't too welcomed at my property. I only appreciate seeing predators at the feeder so I know who to watch out for and who to keep away. Aside from that, I understand not wanting to draw them in!

I'm going to assume they're the ruby throated but I'm not sure... perhaps you might know? I live in the southwest corner of Colorado, small "town" of Hesperus, about 7,500 ft elevation.
I enjoyed your pictures. I've never seen a "white breasted nuthatch" nor heard of one. What a pretty bird!
We have hawks, eagles, owls, vultures, turkeys, swallows, jays (of the blue & black variety), woodpeckers, chickadees, some kind of small fat finch-ish bird, and drones of magpies and crows. Forgive me as I'm rather wild bird illiterate. They are great to watch either way though!

For Colorado, I'd assume there would be Broad-tailed hummingbirds. They look very similar to the Ruby Throated, but are more common where you are.

I'm happy that you enjoyed the pictures! Thank you. The Nuthatch is indeed a very pretty bird. They're very smart, talkative, fun to watch... and it's amazing that the can climb downward a tree.

That's a very good selection! Magpies are beautiful! I always wanted to see one in Maine, but they aren't native, I'm afraid! And Chickadees are magnificent. Very strong birds.

Back
Top Bottom