A bit of a rant but also a question, dog owner manners..

taraann81

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Ontario
I have a very dear friend, she has a 2 year old Chihuahua, while I have 3 dogs ranging in size from very large to giant. This chihuhua has horrendous manners, not housetrained, food agression and is very aggressive towards other dogs.

This friend visits frequently and always brings the landshark along with her. My dogs are well socialized, but outweigh the chihuahua by well over 100lbs.

Every times she comes she says" I'll wait outside until you get your dogs locked in their crates".

So my well behaved dogs go in their crates, while said Chihuahua has the run of my house. Barking at myself and DH and always peeing or pooping on my floor at least once during the visit.( she always says she never does that at home! But when I visit her, its not unusual to see a pile or 2 of dog poop around the house)

This irks me, am I being petty if I ask her to leave the chi at home?

I feel like its unfair to my dogs to be locked up while this dog has the run of their house(I do realize they are dogs and do not think in regards to "fairness" however...) Secondly, to me it seems like common sense to leave your dog at home if visiting friends and your dogs don't mesh.

My dogs are well socialized and have been around smaller dogs on a fairly regular basis through out their lives, but the few times the chi has seen my dogs she goes in to a growling, salivating, barking, frenzy. A missed placed paw from my dogs could seriously hurt her. But besides that I'm not sure how my dogs would act around a small dog showing out right agression within our home. I am sure I could control my dogs reaction, but know my friend would not allow an introduction.

I wonder how she would feel if I showed up at her house with all or even just one of my dogs in tow, expecting her to lock the chi up...

Just needed to vent..

th.gif
That's a friend? ...or an acquaintance you can shake?

That is not a friend!

Your house, your rules!

Either she leave her Chi at home OR she brings a crate for him to stay in while she visits OR take outside.

I do not tolerate strangers dogs (or mine, if I had any which I dont have any dogs right now) marking up their territory in my house. My husband's mother has a Pug that loves to mark and when I found the mess, his mother said, "oh no, not my dog! It must be your cat!" Well I know what cat urine smells like but this one smelled of dog pee, musky doggie odor kind of pee...unmistakeably her dog. I banned her dog from coming in the house anymore and she was still miffed at me about it. Hubby stands behind for me, not allowing his mom or dad's dogs to come in because he had to watch me rant and rave and a whole lot of cussing about his mother's indifference in teaching that dog some manners. Believe it or not, the dog still does that in their house, they just don't realize the smell or "pee tracks" .....must be sight blind and scent blind about their dog, a Pug.

So don't worry if you hurt their feelings.......it is called RESPECT!

Definitely have her leave the dog home or, at least in the car, while she visits.

Tell her very calmly and without any hint in your words that you do not think it is best for her to bring her dog over. If she asks why, tell her, though not bluntly. If she insists on bringing the dog in, then tell her you are visiting her house from now on if leaving the dog at home is an issue.

It is important not to be rude when dealing with delicate situations. Handle it with care to avoid a fight.

If she's a true friend she'll understand. If this ruins your friendship, then she obviously wasn't as good a friend as you thought.

Last edited:
I second EweSheep. Let her leave the menace at home, outside or in a crate of his own. If she balks and still wants to bring the pest, meet her at the door with a cat crate. Let her know you do not allow non-potty trained dogs freely in the house, period.

I'm a large-dog person too, can't stand those little yappers. Seems too many people don't mind not training them. Such a double standard; if my GSD behaved that way, he'd be deemed a danger and a hazard.
rant.gif

Last edited:
Yup, just tell her that next time she plans to visit, you will not be crating your dogs. Period. Tell her she is more than welcome to bring her own crate or to leave little piss-pot in her car.

I'm aware you mostly wanted to vent and glad you did.

But WHAT???? You're putting up with that absolutely thoughtless and rude behaviour in YOUR home? No way. Very nicely tell her that you are unable to welcome her dog any longer since it disrupts your household, and to please not bring the dog in the house or yard anymore. She is welcome to leave her dog at home or in her car.

You don't need to apologize or explain any details. Be nice, since you have let it happen, but stiffen that spine and say no, it's not working for me.

Back
Top Bottom