A bit of a rant but also a question, dog owner manners..

I'll be getting new pup soon..

Wonder if there is anyway to stop a dog from turning out dog agressive?
Just bring them around other dogs when young?

Quote:
Yep...Socialize! Socialize! Socialize!
tongue.png

What kind of puppy are you getting?

Shelly

You know, my Lucy was great around other dogs and animals until she started to have a lot of pain from arthritis and her worn down teeth. After that, it seemed she had no tolerance for other dogs if they came in her territory. She was still very sweet towards them when I took her out of her yard, though. Maybe just got crotchety about her boundaries when she got older.
hu.gif

I've never had any dogs that were aggressive towards other before these episodes with her. I guess a lot of exposure to other dogs and other environments would do the trick...also choosing a breed that is known for docility, I guess.

Holy Moly is all I can say..I used to have my best friends mom drop by announced at my place back when I only had my 2 black labs, she told me she didn't like the dogs and I should put them outside. I frankly and flatly told her the dogs were part of the family and that is that. I too have had dealings with someone bringing their dog here which had horrible manners and to be honest it also is a chihuahua, I now have 6 dogs, 5 very big dogs and 1 shih tzu and she expected me to put my dogs outside and crate my little one. I flatly told her no, and that next time she should ask if she can bring her dog. Then I told her that she had to leave her dog in the car, because last time she showed up here with it, he peed on my daughters Heart shaped pillow which is oversized and can only be dry cleaned. she was upset about this, and then I put her in my shoes, asked her how she would like ti if I showed up there with my king sheppard/st. Bernard mix (who btw does not like her or her little dog) and allowed him to rampage through her house, eat her dogs food, chase her cats, peed on her bed or pillow. Well she left and she hasn't been back since. but you know what, to me if she is too stuck up to see it both ways then too bad so sad.

I would tell your friend, to leave her dog home and call before showing up, and to not expect your family members to be crated. If she is a good friend she will understand and if not well then you will know.

Ema

Quote:
tongue.png

Shelly

A mutt..
lol.png
I cant pick him up til Monday..
barnie.gif

10638_10.jpg

Quote:
tongue.png

Shelly

A mutt..
lol.png
barnie.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/10638_10.jpg

oh geez!!! I just melt for puppy breath!!

I second the Socialize!!! BUT remember not only to socialize your puppy but to continue to do so as they grow older. My old girl Spook was socialized as a puppy after she became my Service Dog she became so used to being around people and life just wasn't allowing time for meeting other dogs. After awhile she wanted nothing to do with dogs only the cats she lived with. Not this time, Katie is DOG first, possible Service Dog second.

Last edited:
Quote:
A mutt..
lol.png
barnie.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/10638_10.jpg

oh geez!!! I just melt for puppy breath!!

I second the Socialize!!! BUT remember not only to socialize your puppy but to continue to do so as they grow older. My old girl Spook was socialized as a puppy after she became my Service Dog she became so used to being around people and life just wasn't allowing time for meeting other dogs. After awhile she wanted nothing to do with dogs only the cats she lived with. Not this time, Katie is DOG first, possible Service Dog second.

Thanks for the advice.
Yeah.. thats my fear...
My Saints are super people friendly...
and sooo far dog okay.. no agression signs at all.... (like i can stand in line at the rabies clinic with a zillion dogs around us and they act fine...i just keep them focused on me sitting by my side...and they are fine at parks also.. never pay any attention to passing dogs.)..But i always get sweaty palms every time i have to bring them around other dogs.,..just cause i know how fast it can go bad. *(see the dane story below)
Beekissed makes me think though... the only time we had another dog visit here was when someone brought over 2 adult male brother great danes that i was thinking of adopting... (just call me Einstein
roll.png
..)
Yeah.. nightmare.... one was fine with my dogs.(LOVED that dog).... but the dominant mental one DRAGGED his owner across my yard and tried to kill my female...out of NOWHERE.. NO warning... no growl, no agressive stance.... nothing... he just lunged and attacked.
She was on the ground on her back yipping and he over her trying to get her throat/face... I'm jumping on the danes back trying to save my dog... my male saint was on the deck FREAKING out cause his pack mate was being attacked..
Finally hubby jumps off the deck and pulls the dane off my girl...
Yeah... that was a bad night...lesson learned.
Anyways...My fear is... with other breeds i may run into problems??(the pup is a boxer mix).. Cause i dont have many dogs to socialize the new pup with..
I have 3 dogs on my road that i can visit with.... so that will help. But thats about it. No dog parks around us..
Where do people bring their dogs to socialize in small towns..espically in the winter time?

ETA: We do have people parks around us... and those usually have a a few dogs +people... great for socialization.
BUT its winter time here.. so the pickings are slim.
hmm.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom