a black bear got 2 of my 9 wk olds yesterday!

Mom2Cool - electric fences do work well on bears. I use them in backcountry camps for brown bears all the time. I've used both permanent and temporary fences and they both work well. Bears can sense the electric pulse coming from the fence as well as the fact that they investigate everything with their nose, which is a tender place to take a shock.

I didn't see where you are located, so I can only make general recommendations for you. Electric fences can be charged using a battery, a solar panel or plugging in to 110 outlets. Solar panels are great because, while they are expensive up front, you have very little expensive after that. Batteries have to be recharged and plug-ins add to your electric bill. Each have their place though. I have successfully used solar panel chargers here on Kodiak, which has almost more rain and clouds than Seattle.

For the actual fence wire you can use smooth wire (NOT barbed wire), electrified net, electrified tape or polywire. I used smooth wire for a permanent installation around a cabin in the back-country. It's much more durable and will hold up to the wind and snow loads we get without breaking down. Electrified net and tape don't do so well for permanent fencing as the snow loads really affect them. I just put electrified tape around our chicken coop since we have several Kodiak brown bears in our neighborhood and it works great now, but I will eventually replace it with permanent smooth wire.

The only other consideration is the posts. You can use existing metal or wood posts, but will need plastic insulators for the wire/tape to run through. Or you can get fiberglass or insulated posts that work pretty well.

I purchased the supplies for the permanent fence through Premier 1 fencing. Just search for them on the net. I was able to call them up and tell them what I needed and they told me exactly what I needed to fit my requirements. You can also find fence kits at sporting goods stores or even fence parts at feed stores. The ones at sporting goods stores are usually only temporary packable fences and are quite expensive.

Whatever you decide on, be assured that the electric fences DO work. Our local bear biologists swear by them. And you definitely have to do something because it sounds like that mama bear is already teaching her cubs about finding an easy meal. They will become conditioned very quickly and end up dead bears if they aren't taught a lesson. If there are other ranchers or chicken raisers in your area you might encourage them to do the same thing.

Also, even once you get your fence up, if you see the bear in your area, haze it with cracker shells or bean bag bullets from a 12 gauge shotgun. Bears need to learn that it hurts to be around humans and then they will stay away from all humans, not just those with fences.

I have black bears in my yard all the time. That's why I built my chicken coop in the horse paddock (the bears tend not to get too close to the horses). I will have the coop electrified in the next few days and then I'll be more at ease. Two strands of electric string has been keeping the bears out of our garden (before that they just climbed over the 6' elk fence).

Thanks to all for all the condolences, info and help., it's appreciated more than you all know.

kodiakchicken, I'm in northern NJ and frankly the entire state here is just in denial and the bear situation is actually a very dangerous one for the humans. The area is too densely populated with people & of course the *protected bears* population has boomed over the years. the bears were already conditioned here & have *no fear* and are basically taught from early on to just wait at the bottom of the driveways on garbage day for it to be put out. I've had issues when just unloading the car from a shopping trip. People who have live stock have had their hands tied from protecting that because more often than not they're too close to another home to use a firearm. We're just continually told "if you make loud noises they'll go away" & "they're not really meat eaters & won't go after the children in the yard" & to wash our garbage cans & put all feed away, which is a laugh with the bears breaking into sheds, barns and even homes. If a dog here is attacked it's blamed on the dog for standing their ground & frankly my golden girls have been the single best deterant so far with their barking. But if they're not actually barking or they're sitting quiet those bears can & have come over that fencce and head on the dogs are going to get killed, but they're not every going to just back down & I'm not even allowed to defend them. The *most* that will be done here is if I call the Dept. of wildlife, Fish & game & if a single bear is enough of a nusanice they'll relocate it to a different area, which is I believe PA. The hazing you speak of is something the police now use as a way of trying to REcondition the bears from being comfortable around people, but they're illegal for civilans to have. So basically the bears have free reign here & those cubs were being taught just that. Except for me making a lot of noise there's nothing to fear really & they can have any & all food available in my yard.

Anyway that all said it's occured to me a long time ago that it might be time for an electric fence but we didn't know enough about them & I wasn't sure they would be something that would work here. The split rail we have right now is something that is covered by foilage & not something we weed both sides of. I'm hearing the electric fence needs to be clear of any leaves at all is this correct? And is there some kind of sign one puts up so a person would know not to approach it? I mean the back yard is pretty wooded here but still if one of my neighbors for some reason ended up touching the thing are they going to get shocked? If that is the case how do you handle it?

Thanks so much for this education in electric fences. I don't think I realized up until a year or so ago exactly what they were being used for. The last I'd had an education on electric fences was when they're were being used along with a collar for a dog. LOL And in the past 2 years I just didn't know enough about them.

Hi Momo thanks for the heads up & I really am thinking this might be the way to go. I wasn't sure where you are & was wondering do you have trouble with the tape in the winter or is it something you can put up & take down if there's a lot of snow? I'm thinking the tape might be a good idea for the garden too. does it keep the lil critters out too?

Mom2cool - I totally understand the situation you are in and the frustration you are going through. Please don't think I don't believe that bears can be a problem (or people, as the case may be). We went through the same thing in Wyoming with the grizzlies when they were still on the endangered species list. A guy from our town kill a sow and her two sub-adult cubs after they ran him up a tree and clawed and bit his backside. Game and Fish still suspended his hunting rights and confiscated his weapons for almost a year to do an investigation as to whether the killing was truly a defense of life situation. You'd think the bite marks in his butt would have been enough evidence!!!

I just hate to see people make generalized suggestions, like "shoot on site" without understanding the nature of the critter and the specific situation. It sounds like you all need an overhaul of your fish and game system and there needs to be a season on those black bears.

The electric fences do work very well for bears. Go to http://www.premier1supplies.com/ and click on their fencing section and you will find everything you could need. I'm not saying this is specifically the place to buy from, that's a personal choice, but their website is layed out well and you will get an idea of what's available. The tape or polytwine fences can be taken down in the winter when the bears are hibernating and the snow is deep.

Yes, you will have to trim the vegetation away from the fence. Vegetation conducts the electricity and creates a "drain" on your fence, which will cause it to have less impact. You can install it on your existing wooden fence using insulators that screw into the wood and the tape runs through those. That will save you having to get new posts.

As you will see on the premier site, you can purchase yellow warning signs to hang from your fence stating it's electrified. I would definitely do that for liability purposes. Yes, people will get shocked by the fence, but it's not usually enough to injure them, unless you get an oversized charger, which isn't necessary. The other thing we do here, which is dual purpose, is to use orange or pink surveyors flagging (available at Wal-mart in the hardware section) and tie little sections of it to the fence in random areas. Not only does it serve as a warning to people, but bears are drawn to it's color and the first thing they will do is stick their nose or mouth up to investigate and they'll get a shock. I don't know what it is about that tape (other than the fact that bears are curious about everything) but our brown bears will even eat it. We have a heck of a time marking things in the field because you go back a day later and some bruin has come through and eaten all your tape!

I hope you find a fence that works for you. I know how frustrating this must be. We're having to be extra-vigilent right now b/c of the big brownies in our neighborhood. Feel free to ask any other questions about fencing.

Just for fun, here's a picture of one of our "critters" that I took last year. He's just a baby, maybe 2-3 years old, but still big enough to do damage. He and his sister watched us float down the river and then he stood guard while his sister crossed the river. He's the only bear I've ever actually had to jack a shell in the chamber for. Didn't have to fire though, thank goodness. He was just protecting his little sis.

9122_june_07_camp_island_portage_125.jpg

Last edited:
Electric fences work well enough, as long as you use at least 4 strands. the bear that ate my chickens is no longer a problem though.....but I live in a different state and livestock laws are different. Maybe you could get a paintball gun, it wont kill or really harm the bears, but will probably hurt pretty good and leave a lasting impression with those cubs. Hmmm, just a thought. Good luck, bears are no fun, IMO.

I get a lot of snow in the winter but of course the bears are further up the mountain, snoozing, at that time. I personally prefer electric string (or straight wire) to the tape as the tape is more difficult to splice when repairing breaks. I've had people touch my fence by accident a few times (including myself) but it's not strong enough to hurt anyone, just make them want to not do it again!

Around here, problem bears tend to disappear with a bang. But we're more rural than where you're at. One thing you might want to try, and that has worked well for me with a sow & cubs that were getting way too comfortable way too close to my house, is a potato gun. It's easy to make, easy to use, quiet, and gives the bear a heck of a thump.

I wonder if you could pull a Granny Clampitt on that sow and her cubs? ROCK SALT!!

Don't know if you can still buy shot gun shells with rock salt in them or not. You use to be able to buy them years ago.

That salt would sting real good and they probably wouldn't want to come back.

Hey Mom2cool, good advice on this thread with bears. I also got my electric fence from Premier1. I have 200 feet of eletric poultry fence around their coop and I have had NO problems with the wolves, cyot, lions or bears here and they are all running up the hill behind our house. The poultry fence is GREAT! I move it every so often so the girls can have new area to pick over. I'm in Montana, so the ground is very dry here, if you go with Premier, tell them your ground conditions they can help you out, great customer service.

Quote:
kodiakchicken I'm sorry 1st I tried to reply to you yesterday but I was having computer issues that are hard even for me to believe and 2nd I apologize because I know that in my frustration (of the bears & people) in explaining the situation it can sound almost accusatory & I hope I didn't insult you or anyone here. You've all been really very kind and helpful & I appreciate you all more than you know.

I'm living here in NJ & yes it's too populated to use the shot gun legally. Of course if it grabs a dog of mine law or no law the shot guns loaded.... Here in NJ it's the "groups" that come out protesting any time a person protects himself or family, the law enforcement comes out & has to react to a bear that just isn't responding to the *rubber bullets" & not come back or to the bears that are aggressive to the point of having killed say a dog. Those people will come up with one excuse after another for the "why" & that the bear "isn't really aggressive". A couple towns over there was a bear that *broke into a house* because it could smell pork chops cooking. the barking family dog gave the family enough time to scoot the kids upstairs & then the dog was of course mauled. Those poor children where 1st in such danger and then had to endure hearing their family pet/dog mauled, but the protestors from the bear group were out in force the very next day *at their house* angry that the cops just shot the bear who was still ransacking the house when the cops got there! They could not understand why they didn't just use tranquilizer darts. I think part of the protest was a caged person so they couldn't easily move her when she lay dying or something. They're outragious here & so yea I tend to be a bit sensitive LOL. It's really not the Division of Wildlife & Game & they actually have their hands full with these "bear people" trying to do their jobs. If they dare try to insititute a bear hunt the bear groups are out in force & I believe last time the bear hunt had been approved, our great governor veto'd it or something.

The fact is the bear population is SO high there's no where for them to go & they're breaking right into houses to get food. And because there's nothing anyone can really do to them they just don't see people as "hurtful" or anything to be afraid of. The other day she didn't blink when I was yelling not until the dogs barked. We've had I believe 2 different sows here in the past 3 days & one of them had 3 cubs & the other 5! Because they're not affraid the food is actually plentiful going from place to place eating & so being so well feed of course the sows are all very fertile Murtle's.... hense the 1 with 5 cubs...

Anyway I just didn't want anyone insulted or thinking I was angry with anyone here, I was just upset the other day & yes when one starts to just explain the situation here it tends to sound angry because frankly I think what is so obsured is sounding angry/scarcastic you know? Once again if that's the way I sounded I didn't intended for it & I'm sorry. I was just upset & actually this message board was very effective in helping me to clam down & I appreciated it.

Back
Top Bottom