A Brief Hello From France

Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya
Thanks for the welcome, it's good to be here! :)
I see You mention Delawares and Barred Hollands in your Signature.
Are the 'Barred Hollands' you refer to North Holland Blues? If so, are they British stock (with feathered legs), or Dutch stock. The reason I ask is that, a while ago, I tried to get Delawares and Dutch North Holland Blues, but wasn't able to where I'm located. I believe that the NHBs are endangered now, and the Delawares too perhaps?

Welcome to BackYard Chickens. Thank's for Sharing the picture's your Chickens are Beautiful! And a Big Hello from Eastern Nebraska.
And a Big Hello back to you! It's a pleasure to be here, Kenneth!
I'm glad you like the pics. I'll try to post some more tomorrow, as I managed to pick up the Belgian Malines today, but it's been a long day of travelling and getting them settled in for their first night in the new coop.
I don't think I've met anyone from East Nebraska before! :)

Thanks!

I'm a good 8 hours drive from Calais. It's much warmer down here, but the majority are still still facially challenged. :lau

There's no fun in Google, at all, they only track you and sell the info - unless you remember to use a good vpn!

I totally forgot about my visit to Haguenau.

It was still work related, but I did have my first ever chocolate mousse there, as well as a charred pizza appetizer.

Hello,

I've been looking at the site for a few months, but have only just joined. I find the site informative and full of very friendly, knowledgeable people.

Apart from keeping chickens, I'm passionate about sculpting in oak, but that's now on the back burner and I don't seem to find the time to do much of it these days... maybe someday soon?

My parents kept chickens when I was a child, RIRs, cuckoo Marans, and light Sussex. I've kept myself, once in the past, but sadly, my lifestyle at the time meant that I couldn't keep them for long.

Things are different now though...

Around a month ago, I bought five 19 week old New Hampshire Reds, 4 pullets and a rooster. Two weeks later I got 3 Barbezieux pullets from the French association which protects the breeed 'ASPOULBA'. I had to go on an 8 hour round-trip journey to collect the New Hampshires, but Barbezieux is just down the road from me, in the same department of W.France where I live. Tomorrow I've a 6 hour trip to pick up four 9 week old Belgian cuckoo Malines (3 pullets and a rooster), now endangered and one of the heaviest chicken breeds.

As many of you will already know, these three breeds are good dual purpose chickens, and the NHR and Malines have been used in the making of many of the breeds we know today. Putting the Barbezieux (said to be Europe's tallest chicken, and France's heaviest) into the mix will make for interesting cross-breeding.

There's plenty of time yet, but if anyone has any ideas concerning the breeding of them, and how you would go about it yourselves, your imput would always be welcome.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts...
Great to see somebody with Barbezieux! They are wonderful birds. I lost mine to foxes a couple of years ago and haven't been able to source more in the UK. Until now! I'm currently awaiting the arrival of 2 dozen eggs from the Continent with ever increasing excitement! If I could only keep one breed, it would be these. How did you get on with them?

Back
Top Bottom